What are your thoughts on the Tri Fan 600?

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2017-10-09/xti-unveils-redesigned-trifan-600-vtol

$350 an hour sounds low, but if it has only one engine, and few other life limited components maybe that number is realistic. If it's true this will take over the entire private jet and helicopter charter market. Plus no noise!

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

It's a nice design. I once did the numbers though, and came to a disc loading that's more than double that of an Osprey, making flying over and landing/taking off in the built environment virtually impossible.

10%20XTI%20TriFan%20600.jpg

• Like 1

Makes you wonder where the ballistic parachute is housed - it would need to be near the centre of gravity, right where that sliding door is that covers the third lift fan. Maybe they jettison that door and the parachute is under there?

The air intakes for the engines look a bit small and easily blanked by a big yaw. (Haven't yet seen how yaw control works? Those fan nacelles only look like they rotate fore-aft). At least this one has chin windows, needed to see past those big instrument panels.

Does that shadow look right?? Picky, picky, picky...

Edited by Eric Hunt
  • Like 2

If you take the concept of a tri fan apart, slim down the parts and free up fan diameter for more efficient disk loading (front ones swivel to operate in fwd mode), you might end up with something like this. Lower CG will also benefit stability. You might even envisage a detachable cabin which constitutes a car if it is lowered onto a chassis...

3%2BCopy%2Bof%2Btri-rotor%2Bisetta%2B%25

• Like 1

Why is it that the picture posted by Voyager above claims to have 2 x 2500+ hp engines, when the Honeywell website only claims to have 1021 Hp per engine??

Dunno. I just posted some of the promo material I found on the internet. I'll check... But IMO the more serious issue is that the TriFan only makes sense if it's reasonably point to point. But with those fans I don't to see the TriFan getting clearance to land close to one's destination. The TriFan will need to land at an airport. And that raises the question: why have such expensive VTOL capability?

• Like 1