Epic Helicopter World Tour

Three guys are flying around the world in an R66. They left Vancouver B.C.a week ago and will be in Panama today.

They're video blogging each leg of the trip. The chief pilot's videos are here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mischagelb/videos

The main site with live map locations and a video blog by the son of the second pilot are here:

https://www.epicworldtour.com/

They're planning to complete their journey in 84 days, visiting over 40 countries.

• Like 3

With modern technology I'd hardly call any cross country flight epic anymore. Plus two dudes?,...wouldn't be caught dead spending that much time couped up in a sardine can with another dude!

Now this guy,...he did it right, solo, yeah that's the way to go!

• Like 1

With modern technology I'd hardly call any cross country flight epic anymore. Plus two dudes?,...wouldn't be caught dead spending that much time couped up in a sardine can with another dude!

There are actually three dudes in the helicopter. The chief pilot, Mischa Gelb, co-owner of B.C. Helicopters in Abbotdford B.C., has the most instructional helicopter flying videos I've ever seen on Youtube.

• Like 1

There are actually three dudes in the helicopter. The chief pilot, Mischa Gelb, co-owner of B.C. Helicopters in Abbotdford B.C., has the most instructional helicopter flying videos I've ever seen on Youtube.

I don't know,...he seems to be a bit confused about settling with power,...but whatever.

You know he loves his new Cabri so much I think a solo around the world in that would be more,..."epic".

Three dudes huh?,...that's one long sausage fest!

• Like 2

And Dick Smith did it without GPS, mobile phones or any of the modern tools.

He also did it properly, with a certain amount of the flying below the equator - the R66 trio only gets close at Singapore.

Back in 2001, I was poised to fly an A109 from London to Sydney as part of an air race, but the organisers weren't very helpful getting us approvals to land at mid-stops along the way - fixed-wings were only going to land every 700nm, but the best we could do was 450nm. We pulled out and lost our $15,000 deposit, but got a cap and a jacket for our efforts. The maps I had prepared, when laid out in a route, ran from one corner of our hangar to the diagonal opposite.

• Like 2

Butters I could see you doing a round the world in an R-22 someday.

Some rich dude wants to give me a Mariner and sponser the flight sure.

,...but I'd go pole to pole.

Dick Smith did that one first too - solo to the north pole in a B206, and round the world via the poles in an S76. I'm sure that Butters in a Mariner could do a similar job....

Hmm, pole to pole in a chopper's already been done you say? Well no point in doing it again. Guess I'll go with plan "b"....

Start a ferry service in Antarctica,...'cause in this day and age there's no reason penguins should have to walk that far just to get laid!

This is a super cool trip for sure. However why the captain's bars? Do you guys cruise around with your official gear on?

I suspect it's to help them look more official/professional when visiting all those different countries and getting through their customs quicker, with less hassle.

• Like 1

I suspect it's to help them look more official/professional when visiting all those different countries and getting through their customs quicker, with less hassle.

Dress like an airline pilot, get treated like an airline pilot.

Dress like a bum off the street,...

Given your focus on the gender of the pilots in these videos I guess that's the most familiar route for you.

Hmm, seems we've been infiltrated by one of those "sjw" things people are talking about these days,...unless?

Avbug,...is that you buddy?

What if the rich dude wanted to fly with you? If you know what I mean.....

No way dude, butters is a solo act!

,...but yeah, I guess I did walk right into the gay jokes.

Edited by r22butters

Now this guy,...he did it right, solo, yeah that's the way to go!

He did it in a nice helicopter too.