WOFT LoR Question

Hey guys, my WOFT packet is well underway now. I've been working on getting back in shape for PT and securing some LoRs. Currently I have one letter from a recently retired Major General, a retired SF CW5, a retired Delta Commander, and a retired SF MSG. I'm working on a few more, including a Brigadier General (he flew Blackhawks for a long time), and a recently retired, (as in last week), Naval Aviator.

Do I need a letter of recommendation from a currently active Senior Warrant to be competitive? I think my list of LoRs is pretty competitive so far, especially being that a few of them have known me for a long time. Is it a must to seek out an active CW4 or CW5? I will do so if necessary, but I was just curious if it would improve my packet or not.

Thanks!

• Like 1

You are going to want to boil your LOR's down to your top 3 as per the advice of many on this board. I think getting a letter from a WO aviator is probably a good idea -- but don't have a definitive answer for you.

Mike

Hey guys, my WOFT packet is well underway now. I've been working on getting back in shape for PT and securing some LoRs. Currently I have one letter from a recently retired Major General, a retired SF CW5, a retired Delta Commander, and a retired SF MSG. I'm working on a few more, including a Brigadier General (he flew Blackhawks for a long time), and a recently retired, (as in last week), Naval Aviator.

Do I need a letter of recommendation from a currently active Senior Warrant to be competitive? I think my list of LoRs is pretty competitive so far, especially being that a few of them have known me for a long time. Is it a must to seek out an active CW4 or CW5? I will do so if necessary, but I was just curious if it would improve my packet or not.

Thanks!

If you are currently active duty/reserve/guard applying through in-service you need your CO, BC, and 1 active senior Warrant. IF you are a civilian applicant through USAREC your letters can be from anyone really. They don't expect you to go a post as a civilian asking to see a senior Warrant LOL. Like the person above said I would pick the best 3 and submit those. Good luck!

Thanks guys. That's all I needed to know. I do plan on getting more LoRs than I actually need, and choosing the best ones from the lot. Though I do plan on turning in 6 letters, just because I've heard it's a good idea to turn in the maximum. Shows dedication or something I guess.

I dont believe you can use a letter from anyone higher than an 0-6. To include senators and high ranking civilians

Really? I was not aware of that. I'll look into that and if that's the case, rethink some of my LoRs.

On another note, the general consensus on this forum according to you guys is that I should turn in no more than three, (obviously my top three), LoRs? I'm curious as to why that is?

Thanks for all the help as usual, this forum is great.

For all your work they will only spend a few minutes looking amd ranking your packet. To include your LORs. So imagine yourself flipping through them all day long as a future cw4 or cw5. Ones that personally know you and those in aviation will stand out. The reason for no high ranking LORs is that many of those offices will generate a generic letter for anyone who requests it and are a waste of time and paper. So unless that 1 star knew you and used to babysit you or something id leave it out.

• Like 1

For all your work they will only spend a few minutes looking amd ranking your packet. To include your LORs. So imagine yourself flipping through them all day long as a future cw4 or cw5. Ones that personally know you and those in aviation will stand out. The reason for no high ranking LORs is that many of those offices will generate a generic letter for anyone who requests it and are a waste of time and paper. So unless that 1 star knew you and used to babysit you or something id leave it out.

2 Star ;) he knows me very well thankfully. I'll keep that in mind, though. I'll be sure to only use letters from those who know me well. A bit of a shame that so little time is spent actually reviewing these packets that we work so hard to complete, but I guess I understand. Lots of information to review, and lots of packets.

Thanks again for the responses guys.

How did you guys and girls go about getting in contact with a cw5 for a Letter of Recommendation? Im putting the finishing touches on my package and thats the one thing I lack. Im active Air Force just a couple hours from Rucker, so I thought about trying to reach out to someone out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How did you guys and girls go about getting in contact with a cw5 for a Letter of Recommendation? Im putting the finishing touches on my package and thats the one thing I lack. Im active Air Force just a couple hours from Rucker, so I thought about trying to reach out to someone out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm fortunate enough that both my mother and father served in the Army. My father was in 1st Special Forces Group, got out then became a Federal Agent for a long time, and knows some pretty serious people. My mother retired as an E8 after 34 years, and knows people as well. My father gave me this CW5's info and I reached out to him. Also, the Brigadier General that I just got a letter from (30 year Army Aviator), agreed to get me in touch with an active CW5 in Aviation. I'd recommend maybe reaching out to someone at Rucker, like you said, and seeing if they can point you in the right direction. Like I said, I'm just fortunate enough to have contacts through family, so I didn't really have to work that hard to get in touch with these people. Only hard part has been the interviews....(prepared to be grilled when trying to get a letter from a CW5 or an O7 or O8 :wacko: )

Call around to your nearest aviation unit, whether it be guard, big army, or reserve unit. You're going to get a lot of rejections from whoever picks up the phone. But, if you're persistent enough, you'll get through. I called around asking for a CW3+ to talk to, and was put in contact with a CW4 who is now a CW5. It's safe to say he's become a great mentor and friend now, and has put me in contact with all the right people to help me move my packet along. Go in and be yourself and professional, you'll be surprised how willing everyone is to help you.