Helicopter AcademyVOLO_VRGeneral468Frasca VRForum468TigerTugsVRForumGen468
Photo
- - - - -

The Forgotten Pilot

pilot shortage helicopter careers pilot jobs scooby doo boobs

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you a forgotten pilot? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel left out, like they're more interested in getting new people in the door than figuring out how to get pilots like you out of the low time black hole?

1. yes (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. no (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 21:29

If you're low time and the airlines look appealing you should go give it a try! That's rational. If you're dead set on helicopters like a lot of us are/were then maybe you don't see that as a viable option.

See the industries for what they are. If you go into helicopters looking for big money and don't mind commuting you can make that work, but airplanes might be the better way to go. If you go into airplanes looking for varied flying and being home every night you can probably make that work, but you might be better off going helicopter. That being said, it's up to the individual to decide if the juice is worth the current squeeze.
  • Wally likes this

#22 BMA

BMA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 22:11

It took me 10 years to break into the business. I thought about quitting multiple times. I eventually met the right people and found my break.

I think a lot of people pass up a lot of opportunities. Put in the work and fly second seat for a firefighting crew, go work a summer with a crop duster, or get in with tree slinging. Days are long and work is hard but you can find opportunities.
  • Wally likes this

#23 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 14 May 2018 - 23:44

It took me 10 years to break into the business. I thought about quitting multiple times. I eventually met the right people and found my break.

Huh, and I thought I was the only member of the 10 year club!

I didn't have the stomach to be a cfi :wacko: , the military didn't want me <_< ,...and apparently I have the type of personality no one wants to be around.  :lol:,... :unsure:

So, what was your excuse,...?  :huh:

Side boob is just so awesome,...yes it is!

#24 nightsta1ker

nightsta1ker

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:22

In all the years I have been watching Butters complain about not being able to make a career of this, I have gotten all of my ratings, done the CFI thing, flown tours in the canyon, and am now flying EMS. It’s been an incredibly rich and rewarding experience. But by no means has it been an easy one. Hard work, a positive attitude, and sheer determination have gotten me where I am and I have made lots of sacrifices to be here. Honestly, that just makes where I sit that much more rewarding.

Butters, I don’t know what the deal is other than maybe you just don’t have the right stuff to do this (attitude, ability, knowledge, motivation, etc...). Not trying to be an a-hole, but I know a lot of people who have made it in this industry. And I know a lot of people (good people, smart people, nothing against their character) who didn’t make it and never will make it. It’s not for everyone. The sooner you figure that out that it’s not for you and move on the better off you are. If you want it, make it happen. If you don’t, move on. It’s really that simple.
  • Wally likes this

#25 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:54

Well I don't know if I'm considered experienced or accomplished, but (Here comes the old man rant) back in my day if you didn't instruct it was a career death sentence for all but the very very few. Has that changed? Maybe, MAYBE you got lucky and dried cherries on a schit job for a few years and built enough hours to get out to the gulf or tours. Are those still the main points of entry for CFI's and low timers to the "big time" of turbines? Or maybe you lived in poverty and worked a 500 hour R44 tour job. I think Butters knows about those.

Honestly the biggest change I've seen is more Asian students coming over to certain schools lightening the competition to land the coveted CFI job as those students are coming over, flying a ton up to their CPL and then leaving. In 2007/2008 For every 4-5 CFI graduates one or maybe two got a CFI job. The rest, thanks for playing.

Look, if I'm wrong I'm all ears to hear how things are different now. 

IMO, the path you describe is on point and realistic in today's world.

The GOM is more of a global-economic issue. Apparently the Grand Canyon is acutely in need of pilots and is willing to take on anybody with over 1k hours right now. NYC has changed because of local regulations/restrictions.

I guess what I was getting at is that it always seemed on here and at my flight school, "get 1k hours...get a turbine job"

As always, results may vary. I might have been misinterpreting.

#26 Counterrotate

Counterrotate

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 13:15

No one is interested in getting you out of the low time black hole. Thats up to you to figure out. Or not. Complaining certainly isnt getting you anywhere, is it?
  • Wally likes this

#27 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 15 May 2018 - 13:22

In all the years I have been watching Butters complain about not being able to make a career of this, I have gotten all of my ratings, done the CFI thing, flown tours in the canyon, and am now flying EMS. It’s been an incredibly rich and rewarding experience. But by no means has it been an easy one. Hard work, a positive attitude, and sheer determination have gotten me where I am and I have made lots of sacrifices to be here. Honestly, that just makes where I sit that much more rewarding.

Butters, I don’t know what the deal is other than maybe you just don’t have the right stuff to do this (attitude, ability, knowledge, motivation, etc...). Not trying to be an a-hole, but I know a lot of people who have made it in this industry. And I know a lot of people (good people, smart people, nothing against their character) who didn’t make it and never will make it. It’s not for everyone. The sooner you figure that out that it’s not for you and move on the better off you are. If you want it, make it happen. If you don’t, move on. It’s really that simple.

You've been watching me all there years and you still think I want a career out of this...?

Well, if you're still watching, the only plans I have left for my cpl were laid out in post #4.

,...and if that never happens, well, I really couldn't give a sh*t!

I had my day in the Sun, this thread is just to see if there are any other pilots out there who have felt like I have over the years?

#28 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 15 May 2018 - 13:32

Complaining certainly isnt getting you anywhere, is it?

On the contrary,...

,...its keeping me healthy!

#29 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 20:59

I guess what I was getting at is that it always seemed on here and at my flight school, "get 1k hours...get a turbine job"

Easier said than done, right? =)

• takefootoff likes this

#30 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:15

You've been watching me all there years and you still think I want a career out of this...?

Well, if you're still watching, the only plans I have left for my cpl were laid out in post #4.

,...and if that never happens, well, I really couldn't give a sh*t!

I had my day in the Sun, this thread is just to see if there are any other pilots out there who have felt like I have over the years?

If YOU don't want a career, then I think you should let it go, and really, truly, move on.

• r22butters likes this

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#31 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:37

If YOU don't want a career, then I think you should let it go, and really, truly, move on.

After pissing away so much money, and so many years of my life, its hard to give it up completely!

Giving rides a couple days a week in a 44 (while not having to rely on flying for a living) may one day help cure me of the bitterness and resentment I've had for this industry for so long?

,...maybe? :(

#32 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 13:19

Yes, yes indeed.

Easier said than done, right? =)

#33 IWannafly30

IWannafly30

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 22:31

It isn't completely dry Butters....

Southern Utah University in Cedar City has been in complete compliance with the VA regs for the last 3 years.  You can even get your private through CFII if you have the eligibility and benefits. Ask for Robbie and he will guide you through the whole process. I started 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!  https://www.suu.edu/aviation/aas.html

#34 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:00

Hey guys I'm an outsider but perhaps an outsider's point of view is what's needed?  From what I have researched and read it seriously looks like going military and coming out with a ton of experience is the best way to get in the game.  If my son wanted to be a helicopter pilot as a professional I would encourage him to go military.  Why pour tons of money while making someone else's living in the spirit of "building hours"?  If you love flying so much then go military and get paid to fly.  Come on with tons of experience and get on with fire or law enforcement.  

Lots of hours and no down side? 

You might want to do some research before you hike off to see the recruiter.  

• Wally and Azhigher like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot shortage, helicopter, careers, pilot jobs, scooby doo, boobs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

AMTC - GeneralSpectrum_VRGeneral468LORD_VRFTForum200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200BE_VRGen200NFCVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_General