Are you a forgotten pilot?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel left out, like they're more interested in getting new people in the door than figuring out how to get pilots like you out of the low time black hole?

• yes
    • no

In all the years I have been watching Butters complain about not being able to make a career of this, I have gotten all of my ratings, done the CFI thing, flown tours in the canyon, and am now flying EMS. It’s been an incredibly rich and rewarding experience. But by no means has it been an easy one. Hard work, a positive attitude, and sheer determination have gotten me where I am and I have made lots of sacrifices to be here. Honestly, that just makes where I sit that much more rewarding.

Butters, I don’t know what the deal is other than maybe you just don’t have the right stuff to do this (attitude, ability, knowledge, motivation, etc...). Not trying to be an a-hole, but I know a lot of people who have made it in this industry. And I know a lot of people (good people, smart people, nothing against their character) who didn’t make it and never will make it. It’s not for everyone. The sooner you figure that out that it’s not for you and move on the better off you are. If you want it, make it happen. If you don’t, move on. It’s really that simple.

You've been watching me all there years and you still think I want a career out of this...?

Well, if you're still watching, the only plans I have left for my cpl were laid out in post #4.

,...and if that never happens, well, I really couldn't give a sh*t!

I had my day in the Sun, this thread is just to see if there are any other pilots out there who have felt like I have over the years?

You've been watching me all there years and you still think I want a career out of this...?

Well, if you're still watching, the only plans I have left for my cpl were laid out in post #4.

,...and if that never happens, well, I really couldn't give a sh*t!

I had my day in the Sun, this thread is just to see if there are any other pilots out there who have felt like I have over the years?

If YOU don't want a career, then I think you should let it go, and really, truly, move on.

• Like 1

If YOU don't want a career, then I think you should let it go, and really, truly, move on.

After pissing away so much money, and so many years of my life, its hard to give it up completely!

Giving rides a couple days a week in a 44 (while not having to rely on flying for a living) may one day help cure me of the bitterness and resentment I've had for this industry for so long?

,...maybe? :(

• 4 weeks later...

It isn't completely dry Butters....

Southern Utah University in Cedar City has been in complete compliance with the VA regs for the last 3 years. You can even get your private through CFII if you have the eligibility and benefits. Ask for Robbie and he will guide you through the whole process. I started 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! https://www.suu.edu/aviation/aas.html

Hey guys I'm an outsider but perhaps an outsider's point of view is what's needed? From what I have researched and read it seriously looks like going military and coming out with a ton of experience is the best way to get in the game. If my son wanted to be a helicopter pilot as a professional I would encourage him to go military. Why pour tons of money while making someone else's living in the spirit of "building hours"? If you love flying so much then go military and get paid to fly. Come on with tons of experience and get on with fire or law enforcement.

Lots of hours and no down side?

You might want to do some research before you hike off to see the recruiter.

• Like 2