Warrant Officer Tattoo and Medical Policy

Good Afternoon,

I was preparing a Warrant Officer Packet last year for the September board. However, my fiance passed away, and needless to say the last thing I cared about was Warrant. I moved back in with my parents and finished my last semester of college online. I was diagnosed with situational depression. I was put on citalophram ( an anti depressant) for several months. Now that I feel better, I figured I might as well submit this packet before it expires. But some things in my packet need to be updated.

Last year I got a tattoo on my chest (a pansy flower) in honor of my fiance. However, due to this tattoo I was informed by my recruiter that I would have to retake my whole flight physical just for the tattoo. I have read online and from what I have gathered they are only worried about explicit material and if it is on the limbs. Do I really need to retake my flight physical again, or can I just get a waiver for it? Also, will me taking anti depressants for three months hurt my chances of being a Warrant Officer, even if I am no longer taking them? I have my other stats listed below as well. Thank you for any advice.

GT: 110

SIFT: 58

LOR: CW5 Aviation (USARC), CPT from old unit, LTC (family friend)

Flight Time: 202 hours, Commercial Pilot with Instrument Rating

Schooling: BA in Aeronautical Science, 3.2 GPA

Military: E4 in USAR, 3 years in

Physical: Old one was passed with no waivers

APFT: 260

The medical in theory would need to be updated to reflect the anti-depressant use, and I have a feeling that might require a waiver. I'd just make sure you go off it under medical direction and supervision. If you are still in the USAR that will probably be helpful as the military seems to be more forgiving of otherwise "disqualifying" conditions if they happen during service.

FWIW I got more tattoo's after getting assessed on the Guard side and it wasn't an issue.

Mike

there are lots of medications that we can't take without being grounded. I'm no flight surgeon so don't take my word but may understanding is that most behavioral health issues require a moral waiver. There's a trend here that talks about all that stuff.

• Like 1