Why Helicopters?

Not a pilot yet -- but always drawn to aviation, specifically military aviation. As a former grunt I appreciate the significance of rotory wing aviation to the fighting man, so when I decided to go back in to fly it was a no-brainer (and here I wait). I also took a couple intro lessons in both and found helicopters to be way more fun.

• Like 2

Grew up on a farm next to the county airport. Always wanted to fly. First intro flight and I was hooked like heroin. Never lost the addiction and hope I never do. Became dual certified (help build hours) and found my place with crop dusting. It's been a difficult journey but I love every minute of it.

• Like 1

Good thing you werent reading this book at the time: https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Stars-Vintage-Contemporaries/dp/0307950476/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527263539&sr=8-1&keywords=the+dog+stars

For me it was a television show.

In the first season of 'The Walking Dead' Rick walked right past a helicopter as he stumbled out of the hospital.

I was between going fixed or rotor til that point...helicopters are more practical in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

• Like 2

Back in 2005 or so I thought it would be fun to learn how to fly so I went out for a flight with an acquaintance in his fixed wing. During the flight he looked down, saw a helicopter hovering near a lake and said "those guys get to do whatever they want".

Shortly thereafter I took my son on a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon (we landed in the canyon and had lunch), and figured "hey I can do this".

I got lucky in business, bought a brand new R44 and talked the local Helicopter flight school (Canadian Helicopters School of Advanced Flight Training, now known as HNZ Topflight) into training me in my R44.

I'm now on my third helicopter and enjoy flying around in the mountains here in British Columbia in my "Ultimate All Terrain Vehicle".

• Like 2

Similarly, to the post above, I got my PPL(H) in 2006 and own/fly privately. An initial trial lesson gave me the “bug” and I find helicopter flying far more enjoyable than fixed-wing regarding the flying itself, where I can go and what I can experience.

Whereas many of my other hobbies are solitary affairs, flying helicopters is something you can share with family/friends.

I live in the UK where we have a vibrant private helicopter flying scene. I’ve never understood why the US doesn’t have the same around the larger more affluent population centres.

• Like 2

I worked offshore in the UK North Sea (inspection jobs) and also internationally. I flew a huge amount in all types of helicopters. Even had the 'pleasure' of flying in some Russian ex-mil helis in Africa that were peppered with bullet holes.

For me, the ability to hover, fly sideways, backwards etc. made me want to pursue my PPL, training in the UK is expensive, my local training school are charging out PPL training in their Cabri G2 at £426GBP per hour wet - that equates to $567USD at todays rates.!

• Like 2