Parachute huh,...?

Great to see new birds with parachute systems, but is this really practical? I rarely fly over 700 AGL and consider an auto my best chance of walking away.

Cirrus aircraft can be fully stalled or in a nonrecoverable spin and able to deploy the Airframe Parachute System (APS). Chances of walking away are pretty good. What about a heli though?

Can APS integrate into 135 and HEMS? Can we flip a switch and save everyone? If so, sign me up!!!

• Like 1

I'm also going to give the disclaimer that I don't know what the F^ck I'm talking about and I appreciate Butters for keeping this Forum alive and well. Hats off to you cowboy and let's keep talking aboot HElos!

• Like 2

Wow, where to start...

When that ballistic parachute is fired either through "pilot inexperience" or a bad area for an auto, at anything above 40kt, the drag from the chute will pull the machine nose up, but the teetering blades will do ...what?? Chop off the front cabin or the tail boom? Have a little mast bump, and the parachute then glides the rotors to the ground, landing downwind of the smoking hole in the ground?

The parachute is fired when over a built-up area, the "landing" is entirely at the whim of the wind, and the canopy may snag the top of a building, or rip on a tree, it scares the snot out of me.

Otherwise, it looks interesting, though a turbine 2-seater is a bit Italian, isn't it? Like a Bugatti. Massive power, only 2 seats.

• Like 1

I did not think that you could just put a parachute above the rotor like that, it kinda makes a lot of sense.

But as pointed out above my post, it does have some practical issues. Is the extra weight worth it? Could they have created a higher rotor inertia instead?

• Like 1