Helicopter AcademyTigerTugsFrasca VRForum468VOLO_VRHome200
Photo
- - - - -

Marine inter service WOFT application questions.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Royusmcv22

Royusmcv22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 16:11

Hello all, I have been lurking for quite some time on here but being that an inter-service transfer is such a particularly case by case scenario I have not been able to answer my questions through previous posts. I am 90% complete with my application and am hoping to apply for the September 2018 board, and Im trying to make sure that everything is perfect. Since I am currently in the Marines the majority of my supporting documentation is formatted in standard naval formatting, which includes my LORs (excluding the CWO LOR), security clearance verification, tattoo validation, statement of understanding... basically everything thats not a pre-formatted adobe document. I decided to use naval formatting because frankly its the only formatting that I have expierence with and the documents that I needed from other Marines are also in that formatting, so I wanted at least to have standardization within my package. Does anyone think that having naval formatting for supporting documents will be an issue for the board? While I still have my own questions about the process I have also acquired a ton of information regarding the specifics of an inter-service transfer, so if anyone out there is attempting the same process and has questions please feel free to ask me and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

ASVAB/GT: 89/ 131
SIFT: scheduled June 8, 2018
APFT: scheduled June 1, 2018 (Marine PFT: 275)
Flight Physical : TBD (No waivers for Marine flight physical)
Flight time: 1,286 hrs MV-22B osprey Crew Chief, Low Altitude, Night Systems, Tail Gun, and squadron standardization instructor.
LOR: current CWO4 Army, LtCol MV-22 Pilot(USMC), LtCol MV-22 pilot(USMC), Maj MV-22 Pilot (USMC).

#2 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:38

Formatting differences between branches will not matter. LORs and such should reflect the branch. LORs from prominent civilians should be in a common business memo format. It wont even be noticed as long as you gotem to sign in pen and not crayon. The important thing is to not miss a selection trying to be the best on paper. After this hurdle your gonna restart on a level playing field and all the sift scores lors and pt scores just get youin the door. This site draws alot of highly motivated and quallified candidates. When you get thier youll realize a ton of other guys got in jist fine without all the behind the scenes knowledge and are great pilots despite a 210 pt score and barely passing sift
  • mike0331 likes this

#3 Royusmcv22

Royusmcv22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:56

Thanks for your input BM1 (I hope the crayon reference was intentional, about every Marine threw a party when the crayola ice cream came out). I might be over thinking this, but I want to limit the chances of scrutiny of things in my control. Due to the total grey area surrounding an inter service transfer and the lack of concrete information about it (at least in my expierence) I figured a question not asked is a missed opportunity for a more competitive package.
  • mike0331 likes this

#4 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 23:54

I totally understand the wanting to make it perfect bit. We all do it, but in hindsight selection was just the first step and the top dude and the bottom dude both got through it just fine. Just get it in as fast as possible. There are plans to up the adso to 8 years after flight school and reduce active federal service from 12 to 8. Too many of us are going to the airlines too quickly.
  • Creep0321 likes this

#5 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:01

I came from the Marines as well. I tried to use the DA forms where I could but had a few in Naval format as well. No issues. If you have any specific questions, send me a message.

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#6 WillyB

WillyB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 19:22

USAREC made me do another security clearance paper to their format on the website.

Other than that I used naval for most things. As previously stated get your packet submitted asap. The sooner they have it the faster they can get corrections back to you if you need any.

#7 Royusmcv22

Royusmcv22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 20:06

Thanks for everyones advice! I am trying my best to submit as soon as I can, but as most of the inter service guys know there are always road blocks that are out of your hands. I actually got a call today from MAW (wing command) saying the commanding general wanted to make sure I considered trying The Marine Pilot route or other possible officer routes, and hopefully after explaining why Im going Army the CG will sign off on it and foreword to HQMC for final approval. I guess understandably the Marine Corps doesnt want to let go of its people when its already having a hard enough time keeping them in. On a better note I completed my APFT today and got a 291, so now I just need to take the SIFT and complete the flight physical and then Ill just be waiting on the conditional release to submit. Again thank you to all that have replied and privided input, it is truly appreciated and please keep providing any information that you think may be useful to me or anyone else conducting a conditional release.

#8 magnus017

magnus017

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 18:38

The CG trying to get you to go Marine route. I'm curious. Do you have your degree already? I was in your shoes about 4 years ago and was a Marine for 8. CW2 now at 224th MI at Hunter. PM me if you need something.

#9 Royusmcv22

Royusmcv22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 18:48

Magnus017 I do not have a degree yet, I got about halfway there then life got busy, but Ill start up again soon. The conditional release got approved so now I just have to finish the flight physical and I should be good to submit in July. Thanks for reaching out, I will definitely ask if I run into any problems.

#10 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 18 June 2018 - 20:24

Glad they signed the conditional release. Back in 2012 when I first got this idea my reserve unit basically said no more NCOs are going anywhere. To be fair I didn't push the issue. Better late than never though. I think the other services do themselves a disservice by not allowing for WO aviators, but nobody asked me.

Mike

#11 Royusmcv22

Royusmcv22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 20:45

I completely agree, I think every service should have some ammount of warrant aviators. Id stay in the Marines if they had it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeMaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeSpectrum_VRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200AMTC 2018BE_VRHome200