Security Clearance

I have gone through this entire process for a WOFT packet for the National Guard. I have have passed everything and have done very well, but I am stuck at not having my security clearance done. I was contacted by the Major who has done everything for me, but I got an email stating that my recruiter has not done my SSC. Can anyone give me some input as to what this is (no smart ass answers) and where I can go? My recruiter has not heard what I am needing, but he has been knowledgeable for everything else. Let me know what your thoughts are! I am ready to Board, but cannot till this is done!

I have gone through this entire process for a WOFT packet for the National Guard. I have have passed everything and have done very well, but I am stuck at not having my security clearance done. I was contacted by the Major who has done everything for me, but I got an email stating that my recruiter has not done my SSC. Can anyone give me some input as to what this is (no smart ass answers) and where I can go? My recruiter has not heard what I am needing, but he has been knowledgeable for everything else. Let me know what your thoughts are! I am ready to Board, but cannot till this is done!

You will need to complete an SF-86 which your recruiter will have to then submit on his end(not sure if to MEPS or a different channel). Once they do the initial review you will meet with a POC at MEPS to go over everything and initiate the investigation.

SF86 should be pretty basic for a recruiter, lots of MOS's require a clearance. There are certain channels the guard can use (supposedly) to expedite your clearance.

Not sure what your military experience is like, but you need to be your own advocate. Call your state's WOSM, who should be tracking your progress through the aviation process unless you are going commissioned. Chances are they work in the same building as whoever processes the clearances. If need be, get directly in touch with that person.

Mike

SF86 should be pretty basic for a recruiter, lots of MOS's require a clearance. There are certain channels the guard can use (supposedly) to expedite your clearance.

Not sure what your military experience is like, but you need to be your own advocate. Call your state's WOSM, who should be tracking your progress through the aviation process unless you are going commissioned. Chances are they work in the same building as whoever processes the clearances. If need be, get directly in touch with that person.

Mike

I actually have been pretty much doing all of this myself. I have been doing everything directly with the Aviation Training Officer, which is the direct channel for me. My recruiter has been more of a formality during this time for my packet. I keep in touch with him because, he is not the main POC currently.

I will pass what I learn along and see what he thinks.

I am sure the National Guard does things differently than what AD/Reserves, because after reading everything on this forum (not everything) this has gone a little differently. Let me know if you guys have any more tips. I have been reading up on the board review and getting ready for any questions I might come into contact with.

Thank you guys for the help!

The big question the Guard boards grill people on is how they plan to balance work/life and the Guard. This is not typically as big a deal, but pilots are expected to come in pretty frequently, preferably above just meeting their minimums. This can be a weekly obligation. I was NS for my first board in another state, and upon getting in touch with board members they told me they were apprehensive about my distance from the unit and if I were to board again would like to see me better articulate a plan to regularly participate. Make sure you have a solid plan that you can articulate to them as to how you are going to balance work/life and the pretty significant guard obligation. It's also probably a good idea to communicate that you understand this can be a sometimes multiple days per week obligation, and you are already planning around that. Be able to demonstrate how that will mesh with your civilian job.

Other than that, expect the typical questions: Tell us about yourself, discuss a challenge you had, how do you deal with stress, discuss a mistake you made, etc. Also, there will be a secondary board if you are selected known as the "fedrec" board. This is more or less a rubber stamp from what I gather, assuming you made it past the much more selective aviation board.

There are still the same basic requirements for Guard, but the accession process, packet requirements, etc may vary a bit.

Mike

The big question the Guard boards grill people on is how they plan to balance work/life and the Guard. This is not typically as big a deal, but pilots are expected to come in pretty frequently, preferably above just meeting their minimums. This can be a weekly obligation. I was NS for my first board in another state, and upon getting in touch with board members they told me they were apprehensive about my distance from the unit and if I were to board again would like to see me better articulate a plan to regularly participate. Make sure you have a solid plan that you can articulate to them as to how you are going to balance work/life and the pretty significant guard obligation. It's also probably a good idea to communicate that you understand this can be a sometimes multiple days per week obligation, and you are already planning around that. Be able to demonstrate how that will mesh with your civilian job.

Other than that, expect the typical questions: Tell us about yourself, discuss a challenge you had, how do you deal with stress, discuss a mistake you made, etc. Also, there will be a secondary board if you are selected known as the "fedrec" board. This is more or less a rubber stamp from what I gather, assuming you made it past the much more selective aviation board.

There are still the same basic requirements for Guard, but the accession process, packet requirements, etc may vary a bit.

Mike

Will I have to go to the "FEDREC"? I am waiting any day now to get my board date. I am hoping it will be soon. Other than my GPA with was 9 years ago, I do feel like I am a strong Candidate.

Anyone who wants to be an officer in the army (including aviators) need to go before the FEDREC board. That will be scheduled after you are selected by the aviation board, assuming you are selected. If the aviation board selects you, it's safe to assume you have gone above and beyond demonstrating what the FEDREC board is looking for. It's essentially yours to lose at that point (going in sayings wuzzzzzup or something stupid like that) from what I'm told.

Mike