23 replies to this topic

#21 BH206L3

BH206L3

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 13:31

Well, I would tell you no on your life to go anywhere near helicopters or airplanes, I fly both. At least that was an opinion I had, well it's a hard business but it's doable. I can't tell yeah go and do or no don't. I am not you. I think right now and going forward, fixed wing and going to the Regionals would be a better option, both in terms of costs to get certified, time building jobs out of school. The regionals are really starting to pay decent money to start and even more money down the road a little. Most of the rotor work is seasonal, and yeah there are some really choice jobs in helicopters, and damn little movement too. I have been at this stuff for 43 years now, these days, my last job was flying for a family, under part 91, they when for a fractional arrangement. That is another thing you have to contend with, Jobs do end with some regularity, aviation is like that, if the economy is good, things can be going like gangbusters, when it's not well then it can become quite lean.  You should do ok!

• TomPPL and LJS1993 like this

#22 LJS1993

LJS1993

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 21:18

Yea guys I think overall my enthusiasm got ahead of reality for a second there.

• TomPPL likes this

#23 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 22:18

So... how old are you?  Where are you?  60K... is that good or bad for your lifestyle?  Is money your objective?  Flying helicopters is a blast.  It can be hard, gritty, and downright scary at times, but I would not trade it for anything.  The money comes, but it takes a while.

Sacrifice?  Yes.  Every member of the community here has to, in some way or another.  I went the military route for 20 years.  I liked/hated it.  I very much enjoy my job now, and consider myself blessed to have landed it right after the military.

Whatever route you choose, make sure it makes you happy.  Me (and my wife) knows I would not be happy if I did not get to fly...even just a little bit.

My 1 cent...

• Wally and TomPPL like this

#24 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:46

So... how old are you?  Where are you?  60K... is that good or bad for your lifestyle?  Is money your objective?  Flying helicopters is a blast.  It can be hard, gritty, and downright scary at times, but I would not trade it for anything.  The money comes, but it takes a while.

Sacrifice?  Yes.  Every member of the community here has to, in some way or another.  I went the military route for 20 years.  I liked/hated it.  I very much enjoy my job now, and consider myself blessed to have landed it right after the military.

Whatever route you choose, make sure it makes you happy.  Me (and my wife) knows I would not be happy if I did not get to fly...even just a little bit.

My 1 cent...

Amen, my brother from another mother! Blessed is exactly the word, "I" didn't get anywhere, "We" did. A lot of much better people/pilots shared every step except the next one...

My fundamental philosophy is you take your happiness with you- you are as happy/unhappy as you make yourself. Never, ever quit.

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsBE_VRGen200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralAMTC - GeneralSpectrum_VRGeneral468MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200LORD_VRFTForum200