Entry-level HEMS,...?

Looks like a good way in for a low-timer,...well, mid-timer anyway :D

SRMO OCF/Ferry Pilot - Grandbury, TX 76048

JOB DESCRIPTION

OVERVIEW

Assists Maintenance personnel at Super Regional Maintenance Offices (SRMOs) to conduct preflights, run-ups, Operational Check Flights (OCFs), and fly aircraft as necessary (14CFR91 flights only; 14CFR135 flights are strictly prohibited). Ensures all aircraft have met the highest standards regarding Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) and compliance prior to being released to the field. Ferries aircraft, as necessary, between SRMOs and Bases, and other locations, and strives to minimize Base out-of-service time.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Assists Maintenance personnel at Super Regional Maintenance Offices (SRMOs)

Conducts pre-flights, run-ups, Operational Check Flights (OCFs) and reports any findings to the respective Maintenance personnel

Works with Maintenance personnel to resolve all mechanical issues and concerns

Maintains Engineering Reports as required

Ferries aircraft between locations, as required

Additional duties as required

JOB REQUIREMENTS

QUALIFICATIONS

Education:

High school diploma or equivalent

Skills:

Commercial rotorcraft helicopter certificate with helicopter instrument rating.

Current 1st or 2nd class medical certificate

Experience (Required):

1500 hours total time

1200 hours helicopter

Experience (Preferred):

1000 hours helicopter PIC

250 hours turbine

50 hours night and/or NVG

WORKING CONDITIONS AND MENTAL and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS

Performance duties require the employee to frequently be required to sit, stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and smell

Frequently required to lift and/or move than 70 pounds

Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus

Required to work frequently near moving mechanical parts

Required to work both inside and outside weather conditions

Air Evac is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status or other non-merit factors.

Time Type (Portal Searching)

Regular Full-Time

Yes it is a job flying, yes the company has connections to HEMS, but you will only be doing maintenance test flights and some ferry work. The connections may do you some good, but your hours will need to be considerably higher to do the HEMS work.

It's a start, though more boring than tours.

• Like 1

Yes it is a job flying, yes the company has connections to HEMS, but you will only be doing maintenance test flights and some ferry work. The connections may do you some good, but your hours will need to be considerably higher to do the HEMS work.

It's a start, though more boring than tours.

They have more than a connection to HEMS, it's all they do. They have probably 50 open slots for line pilots and their minimums are only 500 hours higher for a line pilot. I know pilots there that gobble up OT making $150K+. Not a great place to work, but their aircraft have improved dramatically over the last few years. I would take this job in heartbeat over flying tours.

Gonna need to do a lot of ferries and check flights to get from 1500 hours to 2000.

I'd rather do a year of tours, but to each their own.

Now that we're on the topic, is AEL's starting salary still in the 50's? If so I can only imagine what this job pays.

• Like 1

Looks like a good way in for a low-timer,...well, mid-timer anyway :D

If you really want to do HEMS, this is an opportunity. You could be networking of the first order here, more than a name on a resume and connecting with working EMS pilots. Discuss that, clarify the potential for moving to a line pilot position in your interview.

Me, the only thing I hate more than ferry flights is maintenance flights. They both have a hurry up and wait, you should have had it done yesterday factor. The delays snowball, you'll learn to drink heavily between duty periods.

Learn to interface with the magicians, er- "maintenance staff" like you were in love. Never, ever fly one that maintenance is not willing to ride along with you. Sometimes, for various reasons, they can't, but if they're not WILLING- find out why. If it's possible to take them along, usually you can fill the seats, the magicians almost never get to fly. Everybody's happy, you become somebody who's not just bringing problems...

About 500 hours worth.

Wow, we have a mathematician on this forum....

But it will be flown at 0.2 per time, with the associated warm-up and run-down times, interminable pre-and post-flights.

I once had the opportunity to become a maintenance test pilot, and started the training, but rapidly abandoned it when an opening for gunship pilots came along. "Bushranger 73, In live!!"

• Like 1

So am I the only person who knows people doing HEMS with less than 2000 hours? Some operators must be ignoring camts because I know a few people who started with 1500-1700. No they didn't fudge the logbooks or make up the difference with fixed wing time.

So am I the only person who knows people doing HEMS with less than 2000 hours? Some operators must be ignoring camts because I know a few people who started with 1500-1700. No they didn't fudge the logbooks or make up the difference with fixed wing time.

Are they flying VFR single's out of Opioid county USA?

I'm convinced some of those locations in flyover states are so undesirable that companies might be a bit more considerate?

• Like 1

When did they start?

I seem to remember a time when AEL only required 1,500 hours to be a line pilot. And I haven't been flying for very long.

But it will be flown at 0.2 per time, with the associated warm-up and run-down times, interminable pre-and post-flights.

Weird, it's almost like you've never done this before! An operational check and ferry pilot would be good experience and you would build a lot more time than the the average EMS line pilot. That's not hard to do, though. The experience would be infinitely more valuable than any tour job.

Weird, it's almost like you've never done this before! An operational check and ferry pilot would be good experience and you would build a lot more time than the the average EMS line pilot. That's not hard to do, though. The experience would be infinitely more valuable than any tour job.

If you were an average EMS line pilot you wouldn't exactly need to build time, would you?

• Like 1

Well, Helonorth, it sounds like YOU haven't done maintenance test flying. Blade tracking and balancing (done before they introduced the strobes and accelerometers, but using flags or chalk-on-a-stick) and not even able to log any of that because you aren't airborne. Finally get it right on the ground, get into the air and a mystery vertical or lateral emerges, land, shut down, make a tweak, try again. Compass swings. Engine runs. Topping checks.

Huge parts of the day spent waiting for the maintenance people to make a tweak to the tab or fiddle with the bolts to put another washer on the tail rotor, or pull the tail cone off to make other adjustments. Boring as bat5h1t. Leapt at the chance to get out of it and fire miniguns and rockets.

• Like 3

One hitch at my current job I was backup pilot...flew a total .6 hrs in a week doing ops checks. Big time builder week! :)

Guess HEMS Maintenance test pilots get more opportunities.

One hitch at my current job I was backup pilot...flew a total .6 hrs in a week doing ops checks. Big time builder week! :)

Guess HEMS Maintenance test pilots get more opportunities.

Your company probably didn't have 150 helicopters, but I could be wrong. I see your picture has a yellow and black helicopter but they don't have "back up" pilots.

Wow, we have a mathematician on this forum....

I once had the opportunity to become a maintenance test pilot, and started the training, but rapidly abandoned it when an opening for gunship pilots came along. "Bushranger 73, In live!!"

I have done multi bladed track and balance flights during my time in the Navy. The time comes slow, but I racked up big hours doing runs on H-3's trying to get the vibes in.

• Like 1

There are plenty of operators who are not CAMTS. And IMO, camts is a joke. Its designed to make sure EMS pilots are safer, but it only encourages people to lie on their resume.

CAMTS is the HEMS equivalent of school teachers 'teaching to the test'. The students pass those all important tests; the teachers/schools look good, but the end product isn't any better than before. CAMTS doesn't make an operation safer or better.

• Like 1