• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bambino

Bambino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:40

Hello guys, I am a new subscriber and am a fixed wing commercial pilot currently rated on the B737.

I have always had some interest for the rotorcraft world and I intend to obtain a PPL(H).

I am only 5'2'' and I have been able to fly most of the aircraft without the need of cushion, which was required mainly on older planes such as the Cherokee 140.

At 5'2" would I have problems based on your experience if I were to fly a G2 or R22 or even a Bell?

I stil don't know on what machine I will do my training on as I still have to find a place but I am based in Europe and I realise this forum is US centric.

#2 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 13:49

Yes you will have problems. The R22 cyclic is designed to swing down and be held in the right hand, resting on your right thigh. But if you suffer from Duck's Disease* your thigh will be lower, so the swing of the cyclic will take it between your legs, an uncomfortable place to hold it.

Go to K-Mart, buy a child's rubber booster seat. It will lift you up, and get you close enough to the pedals to use them fully.

*Your @ss is too close to the ground

#3 overtorque

overtorque

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 23:25

Being short is an advantage since you probably weigh less. Robinson makes booster seats that get you up to the pedals if you can't reach em.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Precision_FTForum200702HeliVRFT200VOLO_VRFT200Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200JerryTrimbleAnthelion_VRFTForum200GuidanceVRFTForum200Heli Aviation FT200UNDVRFTForum200