Hello All,

I'm looking for a little insight and first-hand experience if I can get any. My active WOFT board is July and I have a Guard board in the next two weeks. I've sort of been given the "nod" for the Guard slot, and feel competitive active-duty side. I'm in the USAF Reserves, so I have a decent idea of the full-time/part-time commitment dilemma and understand how it differs as an aviator (same currency requirements, etc.). I'm just looking to see if anyone has any anecdotal evidence to life in the Guard or if someone has experience in both and can help me in my decision. The Guard slot is for a 64, and that would be the goal if I went active but know that it's a bit of a gamble that way.

Thanks, I appreciate what I've read on this site so far.

• 1 month later...

Freebee,

May I ask how the selection went for the Guard? I am planning to apply for the Guard myself.

Silver236....Mine went like this....now mind you, I am a civilian. I went to my state board (SC), sat through the nervousness of questions (it wasn't bad, they wanted me to be relaxed). After I the board, they asked me to wait in the hallway while they talked to each other. They asked me back in, told me how they felt about me as a candidate, and selected me. I have my FEDREC board next week, but that is more of a rubber stamp formality (still needs to be taken seriously though).

If you have any questions, please let me know. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk over the phone, I have no problem answering any questions you have.

Good luck man!

• Like 1

The typical questions are along the lines of asking you about your background, a time you were challenged, how you handle stress, etc. Honestly as a Marine Captain I wouldn't worry too much about that stuff, I imagine you'll be given a heavy benefit of the doubt. If you are reverting (to warrant) they may ask you about that. FWIW they seem to like Marines in the army.

One thing I'd be prepared to discuss/explain is how you plan to balance your civilian life with the Guard. Even though you are coming from the fleet, the issue in the Guard with aviators is it's a big time commitment, AND you generally need/have a civilian career. They want to know you have thought about balancing this, the commute, etc. I was told this is why I was NS for the first board. When I boarded the second time (granted it was a different board in a different state) I made sure to articulate 1. That I understood this was a 24/7 commitment in terms of learning and retaining knowledge, and 2. a weekly or multiple times per week commitment to come in and fly and that I had a plan to make that jive with my civilian life.

I was also asked by both boards if I understood how career progression works, so I'd be ready to give your best shot at explaining RL progression and how your career may/will track.

I don't think the FEDREC board applies to you since you are already a commissioned officer, but I could be wrong. It is basically a rubber stamp, but I felt like I was actually grilled a bit more during that board.

Mike

• Like 1

The typical questions are along the lines of asking you about your background, a time you were challenged, how you handle stress, etc. Honestly as a Marine Captain I wouldn't worry too much about that stuff, I imagine you'll be given a heavy benefit of the doubt. If you are reverting (to warrant) they may ask you about that. FWIW they seem to like Marines in the army.

One thing I'd be prepared to discuss/explain is how you plan to balance your civilian life with the Guard. Even though you are coming from the fleet, the issue in the Guard with aviators is it's a big time commitment, AND you generally need/have a civilian career. They want to know you have thought about balancing this, the commute, etc. I was told this is why I was NS for the first board. When I boarded the second time (granted it was a different board in a different state) I made sure to articulate 1. That I understood this was a 24/7 commitment in terms of learning and retaining knowledge, and 2. a weekly or multiple times per week commitment to come in and fly and that I had a plan to make that jive with my civilian life.

I was also asked by both boards if I understood how career progression works, so I'd be ready to give your best shot at explaining RL progression and how your career may/will track.

I don't think the FEDREC board applies to you since you are already a commissioned officer, but I could be wrong. It is basically a rubber stamp, but I felt like I was actually grilled a bit more during that board.

Mike

He wont have to do the FEDREC board, but I read this before I saw his other post.....

The working alongside a civilian job was a stressing question for them. And how my family dynamic was going to work, but with prior military; you'll be fine