Basic Combat Training - Prior Service Headed to 10 weeks in Ft Jackson

Hello,

I am headed to Basic Combat Training (10 weeks) in Ft Jackson South Carolina in July.

Since Prior Service Basic Training (6 weeks) went away, has anyone else been through regular basic recently or during the years when Prior Service basic was not available?

Just wondering how it went going through basic as a prior service/transfer sergeant?

I have seen quite a few post about this but just wondering if there has been anyone that went through recently?

I think there is still confusion here, I was told 6 week PSBCT is still around for qualified candidates by two sources directly involved in the WO recruitment process. Also, that it was not mandatory and that if PSBCT spots were not available I would be scheduled for 10 week to align with WOCS class dates.

The only people that had a for sure answer about Prior Service Basic training was MEPS. So if you still think there is a Prior Service basic, I would check with your MEPS liasion, otherwise you may be in for a surprise shen you find out PSBCT has been canceled.

6 weeks or 10 weeks I don't care. I still have to go back to BCT either way. I think all PS candidates are aware of that fact. It is just a barrier in between me and flight school. Hopefully, they just release a message with clarification and everyone can stop worrying about it. If it is not current policy, why not post a cancellation message for the PSBCT guidelines on the USAREC WO news section or on the HRC message page? In my current service, if anything changes on an active message, a new message is released covering changes or new policy with guidelines.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering how it went going through basic as a prior service/transfer sergeant?

I'm an E5 PS Navy going to 10 weeks BCT at Ft. Jackson in Feb. I'll try to remember to post here after graduating so you can have an up-to-date response.

The sergeants in my basic had separate quarters and got their cell phones.

I'm hoping it will be like this while I'm there. But I expect nothing.

People off the street come in as E4 and get to wear it at BCT? Wow

When I joined it was based on your education level. I was an E1 because I had some college. Folks with a 4 year degree got to enlist as E4. Folks with just HS were fuzzy. And some just got screwed and were fuzzy no matter what they had done before.

Good evening. So Im currently in army BCT at Jackson (10 week). Its different for every company but all the Prior service E5 and above seem to get their own quarters and their phone. The rest is up to your XO. I did everything with the company just had more of a mentoring role. Its a weird transition though because your still a trainee but you have the respect of a sgt. Now keep in mind if you act stupid, those privileges can get taken away quick.

Youll do some of the paperwork to help the DS out but there will be a lot of standing in the cold/heat doing nothing, thats just how basic is. Just be ready to set the example, be a mentor and be humble even tho a lot of these guys will get under your skin.

Im on my phone so sorry for the typos

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find answers to anything anywhere regarding recent bct changes after they cut psbct. I've called countless army people but get mixed info between usarec and hrc.

9 year AF e6, going to Benning for 10 week basic prior to wocs. I head to Benning this weekend (7 Jan) wocs report date is 25 Mar.

Does anybody have reporting instructions?

For those that have been recently, is it beneficial to bring your own gear to try and save some money?

Anything else to expect?

I cannot find answers to anything anywhere regarding recent bct changes after they cut psbct. I've called countless army people but get mixed info between usarec and hrc.

9 year AF e6, going to Benning for 10 week basic prior to wocs. I head to Benning this weekend (7 Jan) wocs report date is 25 Mar.

Does anybody have reporting instructions?

For those that have been recently, is it beneficial to bring your own gear to try and save some money?

Anything else to expect?

There will be a bunch of people in the airport pointing you towards the bus. Bring practically nothing you aren't allowed to save money you'll have to buy everything there. I'd bring the clothes on your back some toiletries and a towel.