September Board

A tid bit: All of the other services either require you to have a private pilots license before applying, or require you to spend time (even if you are a service academy grad) to obtain your PPL before you even start common core military flight school.

That is incorrect. You do not need any prior flight time to be say for example a naval aviator. You do have to have a degree and go through OCS/TBS and have a flight contract.

all services offer zero to hero programs. the army is the only one that doesn't require a commissioning with degree.

With all do respect to my fellow Gideon, I feel that post isnt 100%

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All good ma dude!

I was basing my advice off my experience with the flight school process and advice I was given during my selection process from various aviators. Experiences may vary.

A majority of my flight class had 0 hours coming in. We of course have about 3 of the 30 in my section who have ratings. But it is definitely not the norm.

That is incorrect. You do not need any prior flight time to be say for example a naval aviator. You do have to have a degree and go through OCS/TBS and have a flight contract.

all services offer zero to hero programs. the army is the only one that doesn't require a commissioning with degree.

No, what you are saying is in fact incorrect. Navy requires flight time prior to naval flight school. The Naval Academy calls it "Powered Flight Program". If you do not come into the fold with a PPL(Or 30 hours and a solo ), you are required to attend a course prior to starting the common core stuff. (Applies to AF as well)

My point wasn't that it is a requirement to be selected in other branches. Even if it isn't a requirement, if you come off the street into the AF or Navy to be a Pilot, you better either be from Harvard or MIT or have at least a few flight hours or you ain't getting selected. It's different for Academy Members.

The whole point of that post was to display a viable option to pad your packet.

Yes, Obviously most members on this forum were selected without flight time. No it isn't a requirement. We can argue it's effectiveness during common core all day. That isn't the point. If selection rates are going back to 50% something like Flight Time will elevate you a bit and give you a spring board to discuss during battalion board and essays.

Spoke to a CWO4 Warrant Officer Recruiter, "as for your questions, having flight hours is NOT a requirement and not even helpful, as 99% of applicants have never flown. The only requirement is a passing SIFT test and flight physical and the other administrative portions of your packet."

Yes if everything else in your packet is tied with another candidate first it may make a difference. The chances of that are astronmically low. They will likely compare just about everything else before they compare that.

Spoke to a CWO4 Warrant Officer Recruiter, "as for your questions, having flight hours is NOT a requirement and not even helpful, as 99% of applicants have never flown. The only requirement is a passing SIFT test and flight physical and the other administrative portions of your packet."

Yes if everything else in your packet is tied with another candidate first it may make a difference. The chances of that are astronmically low. They will likely compare just about everything else before they compare that.

Who is saying it is a requirement? Why are you restating something i've already said?

Everybody here knows the minimum requirements for applying to WOFT, but thanks for that insightful quote.

And you just proved my point. 99% of applicants have never flown. Exactly. How you derive that it is unhelpful just because the majority applying don't have flight time is illogical at best.

Applicant flight time seems to always be a contentious issue every time it comes up on this forum and I see no compelling reason why that is.

Is any flight time beneficial? I'm going to work on my packet whilst training to become a fixed wing commercial pilot. And I'm wondering if I should get a helicopter add-on once I've got my PPL-ASEL.

As far as for being selected for WOFT goes that is what the current debate is about. Some folks believe it is. Others believe it isn't. As far as once you get to flight school my stick buddy has a good chunk of fixed wing hours and he scores 2% better on check-rides than I do. It for sure helps in ground school, but actual stick-wiggling it all depends.

As far as for being selected for WOFT goes that is what the current debate is about. Some folks believe it is. Others believe it isn't. As far as once you get to flight school my stick buddy has a good chunk of fixed wing hours and he scores 2% better on check-rides than I do. It for sure helps in ground school, but actual stick-wiggling it all depends.

Yeah I'm with you on that. Unless you are instrument rated I don't see a huge advantage of flight time during school. Only for selection.

• Like 1