6 replies to this topic

#1 octagon

octagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 19:04

Hi everyone,

Just logged my very first hour in an R22! It was everything I imagined it would be, and more. The machine was beautiful, the instructor I flew with was cool, and I was permitted to fly the thing (level flight, some easy turns, and gentle ascents and descents). Holy cow, it was amazing. (Although, it did make my motorcycle seem boring on the ride home from the airfield, which was a bit of a sad thing. Luckily it grew back in a few hours, whew!)

I have dreams of flying helicopters professionally, one day. I'm especially attracted to the idea of the type of flying like utility missions in remote areas[1], but really I haven't seen any job out there, from flight instructing to tuna boats, that wouldn't interest me.

Anyway, I'm now getting down to the nitty-gritty of planning my education. I'm very lucky to be in a position, both financially and in my life, to see it through and do it right (when I decide what "right" is, of course).

I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time now, so thanks to all of the regulars for that. I joined up just now because I logged my very first hour of flying and my enthusiasm is at maximum! If the forum can use a naive newb who is just super happy-to-be-here, well, I'm your guy.

[1]: https://jsfirm.com/P...ka/jobID_209130

#2 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 22:58

Welcome to helicopters. An unfortunate choice of a fixed-wing avatar, but at least it was from a great old movie - prompting the thought, from She'ff J W Pepper, (of the Lou-siana State Po-lice)"Ain't you pointy-heads e'er seen a airplane befoah??"

People say that flying is dangerous, but the most dangerous thing you will do is ride your motorbike to the airport.

#3 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).
  • Company working for:Golden Wings Aviation, Brewster, WA (part-time)

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:26

Oddly enough, I still remember my first helicopter ride. It was on my thirteenth birthday, so it must have been 1968. (Fifty years ago?? Whew!) We flew (me as a passenger) from the W30th Street Heliport in NYC.

It. Was. Awesome!

Now, all this time later, all these hours, all these different ships I've flown, and being nearly retired out of this industry, I still get the biggest thrill from pulling up on the left-hand lever and making the damn thing rise up. Like motorcycle riding, it never stops being fun.

Welcome to the club ;-)

Edited by Nearly Retired, 07 July 2018 - 10:28.

• Wally and TomPPL like this

#4 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).
  • Company working for:Golden Wings Aviation, Brewster, WA (part-time)

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:27

Oddly enough, I still remember my first helicopter ride. It was on my thirteenth birthday, so it must have been 1968. (Fifty years ago?? Whew!) We flew (me as a passenger) from the W30th Street Heliport in NYC.

It. Was. Awesome!

Now, all this time later, all these hours, all these different ships I've flown, and being nearly retired out of this industry, I still get the biggest thrill from pulling up on the left-hand lever and making the damn thing rise up. Like motorcycle riding, it never stops being fun.

Welcome to the club ;-)
  • Wally likes this

#5 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 07 July 2018 - 13:02

Almost 50 years ago, I took my first helicopter ride as a warrant officer candidate.  Loved it then, love it now- or would love flying, had I not retired 2 years ago.  Miss the flying and the 'work'; I don't miss the 'work place'.

As much as I loved "pulling up on the left-hand lever and making the damn thing rise up,"  flying does get to be a 'job' if you're successful in your goal of "flying helicopters professionally."  There were days (LONG days!!!), weeks, months, when I wondered why I kept doing 'this'. 

If you do 'the job' to the best of your ability, you will work very hard at times doing tedious jobs in surprisingly demanding situations... And then you'll fly one leg that will go almost perfectly (always self critique honestly, there's something that could have been done better) from engine start to shut-down, and nobody but you will know- and that's more than enough.

My greatest ambition in the Gulf of Mexico was to fly the approach and land so smoothly that I had to wake up the passengers...

Edited by Wally, 07 July 2018 - 13:03.

• TomPPL likes this

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#6 octagon

octagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:06

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I now have 3.2 hours logged. The helicopter is very different from any vehicle I have ever piloted before. The machine is fascinating and I can almost see my brain learning totally new weird things.

Like today I tried hovering for the first time. It was completely different from what I expected it would be based on my 2 hours of flying at 65 knots. My instructor was great. He let me wander around kind of crazy at first, while my brain tried to grasp the concept.

Finally it started to click when I realized that at 65 knots I was doing just incremental, steady adjustments of pressure on the controls to get in trim, but in a hover it's all about little spurts of impulses with no steady incremental adjustments or pressure.

Long story short, helicopters are the bee's knees. I definitely did not expect my brain to be doing so much work; it's refreshing to exercise the noodle unexpectedly.

• TomPPL likes this

#7 octagon

octagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 13:12

My brother works on a drill ship in the Gulf of Mexico, how cool would it be if I got to see him at work from time to time? Pretty cool.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Spectrum_VRGeneral468NFCVRGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200HeliHelmetsMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200BE_VRGen200AMTC - GeneralGenesys VRForum200_General