So, how's that border patrol pilot application going?

New post on indeed, could give hope to some of you low-timers,...but there's a catch!

750 Flight Hours: Applicants applying at 750 flight hours are required to obtain at least 1,000 flight hours (depending on the number of hours approved for a waiver) at own expense before being able to attend the 3-part flight assessment. Must meet the required 100 flight hours within the last 12 months, 250 PIC, 75 instrument and 75 night hours.

Simulator Hours: All FAA Approved level C and Level D simulator time will count towards a pilot's 100 hours in the last 12 months, however, it cannot count towards a pilots total time. The pilot must be the pilot in command or second in command in the simulator. Simulator instructors who are operating the simulator scenarios cannot count their instructor time as flight time.

Good luck with that :D

• Like 1

This one seems a bit odd to me too,...but maybe its because I don't come from a military/law enforcement background?

Only 250 pic out of 1500,...I mean damn, I've got almost three times the pic, but only half that total,...where DO they come up with these numbers?

Have 1500 hours total flight time. Within the 1500 hours you must have/show; 250 hours as Pilot-in-Command; 75 hours Instrument, and 75 Night hours, and 100 within the last 12 months. The flight logs you provide at time of application must clearly show all flight hours listed above. Your physical flight log book(s) will be required for verification at the time of your Flight Assessment.

,...'course its like I've said, after The Great Wall of Trump goes up they won't need us flyboys no more :D

As a new guy you generally don't make pilot in command for a few years. If the border patrol is looking at a pilot's military flight records it's very likely they will only have 1/3 of their time logged as a pilot in command. That changes from unit to unit, and as you get over the 1,000 hour mark the ratio starts shifting towards PC being the majority of your time. But when you don't make PIC until 700 hours it takes a while for that to happen.

I know that during the wars back in the 2000s there were a lot of units that wouldn't upgrade a pilot to PIC until after a deployment. This could mean 1,000 hours total time and none of it as the true pilot in command.

We didn't count the whole "sole manipulator" thing in our records. You either were signed for the aircraft and the PIC or you weren't. So if the border patrol is going off your military logbook that's why they have such low PIC hours required.

• Like 1