HOST/Dunker

Not sure this information has been disseminated to everyone here, but HOST/Dunker is no longer a required part of Flight School. Our class is the first moving directly from BOLC to SERE.

• Like 2

I assume they still have the facilities down there. Can one "sign up" for the training? Frankly something I'd like. I believe it probably saves lives -- so does the USMC apparently: https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/05/10/how-a-lack-of-aircraft-emergency-escape-training-ended-in-tragedy-in-australia-mv-22-crash/

Mike

• Like 1

That seems kinda dumb, but nobody asked me. I assume they still have the facilities down there. Can one "sign up" for the training? Frankly something I'd like. I believe it probably saves lives -- so does the USMC apparently: https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/05/10/how-a-lack-of-aircraft-emergency-escape-training-ended-in-tragedy-in-australia-mv-22-crash/

Mike

The rumor I heard was that they are dismantling this setup and moving it to Korea. But that could just be the WONN.

Last class just went through last week. The building is being demolished. No longer a training requirement here at Rucker.

Just had pre-common core briefing from Colonel Chasteen yesterday and he also told us the plan is to get SERE graduation to move to Saturday and those who graduate to class into common core on Monday. Hopefully that pans out because I've been waiting to start common core for nearly a month following SERE. But I'm finally in so, woohoo.

• Like 1

Last class just went through last week. The building is being demolished. No longer a training requirement here at Rucker.

Just had pre-common core briefing from Colonel Chasteen yesterday and he also told us the plan is to get SERE graduation to move to Saturday and those who graduate to class into common core on Monday. Hopefully that pans out because I've been waiting to start common core for nearly a month following SERE. But I'm finally in so, woohoo.

Better start studying those EP's and limits lol

GAH...lucky bastards. Now you may or may not get it at your units. Wish that was the case when I went through, although it's pretty much mandatory in Hawaii.

I enjoyed the bubbles. Had a lot of fun. The real army aviation sucks so enjoy it while you can.

• Like 1

Funny- I knew two guys in my dunker class that could not do it. They subsequently couldnt go to SERE, and got kicked out of flight school. Wonder how many guys/girls missed out on the chance to fly helicopters because they couldnt make it though? Cutting training to push the masses through with as little attrition rate as possible, it seems.

• Like 2

Dunker was a huge bang for the buck in terms of time consumed. It was the shortest course of flight school but the muscle memory and strategies are with me to this day. But hey, dual engine helicopters don't need that stuff since you can just fly to land with the other engine.

• Like 2

Funny- I knew two guys in my dunker class that could not do it. They subsequently couldnt go to SERE, and got kicked out of flight school. Wonder how many guys/girls missed out on the chance to fly helicopters because they couldnt make it though? Cutting training to push the masses through with as little attrition rate as possible, it seems.

When I went through you couldnt fail out due to dunker. I know of two people that spent 1 1/2 months and 2 months respectively doing dunker.

Helicopters suck no matter the amount of engines. People used to stay at dunker until they passed it.

Dual engines don't help much with pilot error, case in point the the last incident in Hawaii, although dunker training may not helped in that case.

That was an awful crash due to spacial d

Yeah I don't really see the point in removing this course. I've never heard of anyone being "held up" waiting for dunker training. I understand that the Army will send you to the training should you end up flying near water but still, as an army aviator, I think it's simple training that will establish a foundation on aircraft emergencies and will stick with you throughout your career.

• Like 2

It seems to be shifting the burden to the unit may or may not be the best idea. One of the two Guard units I may end up at is on the water -- I doubt before they let me fly with them they'll be sending me to HOST training, even if they wanted to. I guess I'll let you know in a couple years. Personally, this is something I'd like to do. I'm a big believer in drills/rehearsals.

Mike