3 replies to this topic

#1 LJS1993

LJS1993

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:26

Okay gentlemen what was your closest call or most frightening moment you've had in your helicopters?  Was there ever a moment when you thought your time just might be up?  

#2 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:36

Most frightening moment was a pitch black night with no moon over a dry lakebed, following a flight of Apaches.  They turned back into us and I lost sight of the lead ship.  The 64D model has very poor lighting for following with NVGs to begin with, and we were converging on each other without knowing it.  Their lights were hidden from me by the engine nacelles, and I was hidden behind their cockpit pillars.

Anyways, I saw them at the last second by seeing the lights reflecting off the rotor blades.  Threw the bird over, then ended up in an unusual attitude over the lakebed at 200AGL with the nose pointed very down.  Skettttccchhhyyyy.  For about 10 seconds I was flying but also just sorta waiting for the BANG!

My worst moment flying helicopters was also at NTC following a couple Apaches in the middle of the night.  Taking off to catch up with them as they went over the hill, all of the sudden the sky lit up as if someone shot a flare over the top of us.  That's when I got the mayday call from their sister ship.  We flew over the ravine and saw just a bunch of wreckage and fire burning so bright it was reflecting off our windshield, and there was nothing we could do but fly and coordinate to get first responders out there.  Miserable night.

Edited by SBuzzkill, 08 July 2018 - 18:37.

• TomPPL and LJS1993 like this

#3 LJS1993

LJS1993

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 15:15

No one else?  Damn guys..........  That bad eh?

#4 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 20:28

No one else?  Damn guys..........  That bad eh?

Just curious...what is your background? Are you a pilot or aspiring to be one?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumGeneral200BE_VRGen200HeliHelmetsSpectrum_VRGeneral468AMTC - GeneralGenesys VRForum200_GeneralMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200