too late for the Helicopter military dream?

Hello everyone and thank you all for your valuable insights.

I am 34 years old turning 35 next year on April. My dream has always been to be a helicopter pilot but I got the wrong advice from a fellow helicopter pilot near my local small airport, who told me to stay away from helicopters and go fix wing, the irony was that he was giving helicopter tours on his own helicopter to the public lol. Well 17 years later with 3000 total flying hours ( 1300 hours on an Embraer 120 part 121, 50 as a captain), gold seal multi-engine instrument instructor, a bachelors degree in Professional Aviation and now about 7 years as an Airport Operations Airfield Officer- I find myself feeling empty and wondering what is it that I need to do next to get that spark back?. It wasn't until this month that I woke up and realized that maybe the military is the answer for my helicopter long lost dream. I have done some digging around the web and this website and I have learned about the WOFT program in the Army, but the age cut off is 33, is that really the case? I haven't flown is 7 years but I have kept all my aviation licenses current. Realistically, it will take me a few months, to refresh all my aviation knowledge and to do a hardcore Avsab and Sift test prep.

So finally the questions I need to ask you all honorable fellow aviators is what are my choices if I want to fly in the military other than the Army WOFT for my age and experience?

To complicate this farther I don't want to quit my current job. I like my current job very much and I'm wondering if as a local government city job, I can be a reserve military pilot and be excused for military deployment without affecting my current job? I hope is not a silly question!

and yes I will also make an appointment to see my local Army recruiting center.

Thank you all very very much!!

Back when I was in my mid thirties, in that last year before I'd be to old to join, I was riding around with a couple of buddies of mine who were both career Navy guys. At one point (really just thinking aloud) I said, hmm, you know I've only got a few months left where I can still join, maybe I,...

Both of them (in quite remarkable harmony) cut me off, bellowing out, DON'T!

:lol:

,...you'd probably get a more helpful response if you ask this on the Military Forum though.

"Stay away from helicopters and go fixed wing." That's some good advice if I've ever heard any! B)

Back when I was in my mid thirties, in that last year before I'd be to old to join, I was riding around with a couple of buddies of mine who were both career Navy guys. At one point (really just thinking aloud) I said, hmm, you know I've only got a few months left where I can still join, maybe I,...

Both of them (in quite remarkable harmony) cut me off, bellowing out, DON'T!

:lol:

,...you'd probably get a more helpful response if you ask this on the Military Forum though.

"Stay away from helicopters and go fixed wing." That's some good advice if I've ever heard any! B)

Take what Butter's said with a tablespoon of margarine. I did 9 years in the Navy, and 11 in the Coast Guard (all as a helo pilot). While it was not all roses, it was some great flying, and now I make retirement bank, on top of my current gig.

ANSWERS -

Questions...

1. Why do posts have to be approved? This is not an anonymous forum. After you register, your posts are monitored and then you are approved. I realize that you are not a new user, so I will check to see why your posts are not being approved automatically.

2. Is it only in this section? No.

3. Is it only me? No.

4. Do you censure topics, like on the "other" site? Yes, It does not happen often but this is a private site and we reserve the right to remove certain topics at our discretion. Example - political, religious and defamatory posts.

Lyn

info@justhelicopters.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stay away from the WOFT program. I am glad I did it for various other reasons, but all the BS that comes with it is just not worth your freedom and close to 10 years of your life. I wouldn't do it again if I know what I know now, at least not in the Army.

• 3 weeks later...

Flanker,

Can you please elaborate a little bit more on your reasons why you're advising to stay away from WOFT? I understnad that it's about an eight-year commitment but you cannot get the military flying experience as a helicopter pilot anywhere else. I see Marine Aviators go through many side BS on daily basis struggling to meet the minimum hours. I am just a wannabie Army Aviator for now but I am looking forward to joining the Guard as an aviator once I'm done with my current contract as a Marine Officer.