Non-Rated to Rated crewmember

Hello all! Was on track for the July board but as with any new adventure, life throws curveballs and my daughter is due the day packets must be submitted and the only open day for the sift was the 26th of this month. Obviously this gives me more time to prepare my packet which I am a-okay with.

I am currently a reservist drilling as a NRCM on -60s with 400+hrs, decided to make the switch seeing as we lost multiple pilots to the CAD. My packet is mostly finished sans LORs, pt test, ht/wt, sift results and flight physical. I am about to enter my apart window come August first and was wondering if I was able to get a class 1 flight physical and still be able to maintain my NRCM status? We are very short ces So losing me would be detrimental as we take most of the missions from the active component where Im stationed.

If any one has advice or has dealt with this situation please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a similar situation in Hawaii I last year. I let the flight nurse know what was going on, and they did the paperwork for both the Class 1 and the Class 3. The class 3 was immediate, but it took over a month for the Class 1 to come back stamped. It took longer doing the paperwork and labs, but wasnt a big deal- just give your clinic a heads up on what youre doing and what you need.

Not sure what your local policy is with the Class 1, but you were required to have a passing SIFT score in Hawaii before starting the Class 1 physical. So I would make sure you have all boxes checked for that before you go.

Dont waste the chance with the high selection rates right now- flying in the front seat is MUCH more fun than crewing was. I miss working on the birds, but have no regrets switching over.

• Like 2

I was in a similar situation in Hawaii I last year. I let the flight nurse know what was going on, and they did the paperwork for both the Class 1 and the Class 3. The class 3 was immediate, but it took over a month for the Class 1 to come back stamped. It took longer doing the paperwork and labs, but wasnt a big deal- just give your clinic a heads up on what youre doing and what you need.

Not sure what your local policy is with the Class 1, but you were required to have a passing SIFT score in Hawaii before starting the Class 1 physical. So I would make sure you have all boxes checked for that before you go.

Dont waste the chance with the high selection rates right now- flying in the front seat is MUCH more fun than crewing was. I miss working on the birds, but have no regrets switching over.

Im shooting for the November board and making my appointment for my class 3 on the 1st hopefully I can get everything done. Was there a memo or anything like that that you needed to allow you to do a class 1 as well? Or just your sift test paperwork?

I took my sift test this morning, went in all nervous and wound up scoring a 55. Now it is on to everything else!

I just needed the SIFT results. To even take that test required a 4187 signed by my commander, so I guess they figured you were good to go if you had the results. Best of luck with your packet, it took me months to get mine together. But I don’t regret a thing about the switch- WOCS and SERE suck but are sooooo worth it in the end. My maintenance and flight time helped immensely during the first part of flight school so you should be good to go!

I just needed the SIFT results. To even take that test required a 4187 signed by my commander, so I guess they figured you were good to go if you had the results. Best of luck with your packet, it took me months to get mine together. But I dont regret a thing about the switch- WOCS and SERE suck but are sooooo worth it in the end. My maintenance and flight time helped immensely during the first part of flight school so you should be good to go!

Thankfully, my ex-Infantry father taught me never trust anyone else with my military career, so the second the acesssions nco left my email read a month ago, I started asking questions and put everything together myself. Im only lacking easy stuff other than my physical. Pt test, lors which are practically done, and my da photo.

Only thing Im really worried about is my physical. I wear glasses and I believe Im under the 20/70 but Im correctable to 20/20 so we will see what happens.