R44 Raven II available for hire in Virginia Area

I will be visiting the northern Virginia area in the next weeks from the UK. While there, I’d like to possibly do my FAA BFR and subsequently hire a R44 for a couple hours flying. I will be staying at either Salamander Resort (Middleburg) or Lansdown Resort (Leesburg); so ideal if nearby.

Any ideas on locations that could assist? Additionally, for the hire/rental, I’m not really interested in renting with a safety pilot. However, bonus points if the aircraft has aircon.

I'd definitely give American Helicopters or Monumental Helicopters a call. They're probably the most fair with their rental rates and not too far from Leesburg; AH will be a bit closer to you. I've dealt with both places and they are both staffed with standup personnel.

And if you haven't or didn't know, you will be required to take an online course, because you'll be flying in a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) because of the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) around Washington DC, before they'll rent to you.

American Heli do rent an R44 (self-fly hire), but unfortunately only do so if you have 25hrs flying with their instructors. This effectilvley limits solo hire only to their students.

Nothing to do with my licenses as I hold hold both FAA and EASA licenses; I noted I'll be doing my FAA BFR in the first post.

I've hired R44s in several countries now and have never understood the mess the US have regarding aircraft insurance (even though you have the largest GA community; excepting helicopters privately). I've encountered US FBOs that have insurance deductibles of 80k on an R44?? To me, insurance with an 80k deductible isn't really insurance. If you can't afford insurance with better terms, you can't afford the helicopter.

• Like 1

This was not a robust company; few companies in the light/training helicopter sector could be described as such.

Their R44 just sat as a "hangar queen" and was seldom used because they were scared to touch it due to the insurance. Only one person could fly it and it would sit for weeks without being flown - which we all know is not good for helicopters mechanically or economically.

• Like 1