Basic to WOCS questions

Hi everyone,

I was recently picked up for WOFT and will be shipping out to BCT in November, immediately followed by WOCS. I've been doing a lot of research on preparing both physically and mentally for what is to come, but I was left with some questions.

1. A lot of articles and forums have mentioned stenciling clothing and uniform regulations for WOCS. Considering I don't have these uniform items yet, will there be time to prep this during the first few days of WOCS or is this something that needs to be done prior?

2. I've read forums on VR and watched videos of WOCS where they mention pullups. I've been training for the APFT which does not include pullups. Are they common in PT? Asking so I can alter my training to match these standards.

3. I'm 21 and going street to seat. I have some flight experience but I don't have prior service experience. I certainly don't see that as a reason to be discouraged, but I'm curious if anyone can shed some insight or offer advice on 'fitting in' and working with these individuals with common knowledge on this type of training.

I'm excited for this next phase of my life! I appreciate any help!

1. You'll have time once you get to Rucker to stencil your stuff and pick up anything else you need.

2. You'll do pullups in basic also, nothing to worry about. The few you do at WOCS won't be a problem either. Just do some pull ups before starting basic if you're worried.

3. You'll have ten weeks of basic to learn to fit in with the army, followed by 5-7 weeks of WOCS to do the same.

Congrats on getting selected. I'm sure you'll have fun in BCT during the winter, hopefully you're going to Benning where it'll be at least a little bit warmer.

I was street to seat as well so I should be able to give some insight to your questions...

1. You should have ample time between BCT and WOCS to get anything done regarding stenciling and/or uniforms.

2. Pullups is a part of WOCS but not a big part. If you aren't strong at them, you'll get better but it's not something to be concerned about. Train for them sure, but don't make it a priority in my opinion. Be comfortable running for sure. Some of the TAC officers love to run...

3. The fitting in part will probably be the most difficult part since you will be attending WOCS with prior enlisted, including some tech warrant candidates who may have been E-7 or higher prior to attending WOCS. Some of the prior NCOs are great and take on more of a mentor ship role for the street to seat candidates. These will be the people who you will learn the most from and will be a good example for you to look at in regards to how you should conduct yourself as a leader. There will also be a large number of prior service candidates who may feel like you don't deserve to be there after they've put in all the hard work and deployments prior to becoming a warrant officer. There were several of these in my class and you just learn to deal with them. Always maintain a professional attitude and don't try to get into a pissing match with anybody. At the end of the day when you arrive here and put on a snowbird patch, you will have the same rank as everybody else that you're in class with...when y'all graduate, you will all be WO1 although some will get paid more for more time in service. My advice, just maintain professionalism at all times and do your best to learn from those with more experience.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a direct message.

• Like 2

Congrats on getting selected. I'm sure you'll have fun in BCT during the winter, hopefully you're going to Benning where it'll be at least a little bit warmer.

I was street to seat as well so I should be able to give some insight to your questions...

1. You should have ample time between BCT and WOCS to get anything done regarding stenciling and/or uniforms.

2. Pullups is a part of WOCS but not a big part. If you aren't strong at them, you'll get better but it's not something to be concerned about. Train for them sure, but don't make it a priority in my opinion. Be comfortable running for sure. Some of the TAC officers love to run...

3. The fitting in part will probably be the most difficult part since you will be attending WOCS with prior enlisted, including some tech warrant candidates who may have been E-7 or higher prior to attending WOCS. Some of the prior NCOs are great and take on more of a mentor ship role for the street to seat candidates. These will be the people who you will learn the most from and will be a good example for you to look at in regards to how you should conduct yourself as a leader. There will also be a large number of prior service candidates who may feel like you don't deserve to be there after they've put in all the hard work and deployments prior to becoming a warrant officer. There were several of these in my class and you just learn to deal with them. Always maintain a professional attitude and don't try to get into a pissing match with anybody. At the end of the day when you arrive here and put on a snowbird patch, you will have the same rank as everybody else that you're in class with...when y'all graduate, you will all be WO1 although some will get paid more for more time in service. My advice, just maintain professionalism at all times and do your best to learn from those with more experience.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a direct message.

Will there be regulations given on how to stencil/prep the uniform or is it all in the WOCSOPS? Thank you so much!

Not sure if anyone can shed light on this... best advice I never got before boot camp is put your last name on fricken everything the second you get it. Take sharpie, write it on the tag so it won't bleed through.

What I don't know is if this will be an issue at WOCS if you do it at BCT. I lost so much sh*t in boot camp from "tornados" and other ass-hattery from not putting my name on stuff the minute I got it it was nuts. We had dudes graduating with 2 different size boots/running shoes, etc. You get your name in stuff ASAP, at least someone has to cross it out to steal it.

Mike

• Like 1

Muffinman pretty much covered it all. I was street to seat as well. Went to good ol Benning.

Stencils you can do when you get to WOCS. Your life will revolve around the WOCSOP. You will have about a week or so to get that stuff done before class starts. Don't know how old you are, but I joined when I was 29. Hardest part about everything is the idiots in basic and the constant bullshit in the Army. When it comes time to choose your duties at WOCS, pick Pubs officer. You hand out books in the beginning and take them back at the end. Easiest stress free job there is.

At least you wont have to do dunker from what I hear, as well as SERE being a tad shorter now.

Just remember to have fun in the process and don't forget why you joined.

. There will also be a large number of prior service candidates who may feel like you don't deserve to be there after they've put in all the hard work and deployments prior to becoming a warrant officer. There were several of these in my class and you just learn to deal with them. .

Anyone who acts like this is a total douche canoe.

• Like 3

My personal favorite was the infantry guy who acted like he knew everything and was as tough as they come. Tried to peer out a bunch of good guys, then wore awards he didnt earn to graduation.

Ended up being a SERE DOR, twice. Total douche canoe.

• Like 3

You see that sh*t everywhere. As an enlisted guy in a graduate program where the military and veteran community was predominated by officers, I felt some (not all) felt the need to be the pretend big-boy in the room. I'm always open to advice, but don't patronize me, especially when we're in the same place.

I think a great life lesson is there is always someone more badass than you, and the occasional person who really does dominate that food chain is usually a quiet professional.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I am here now, I graduate 3 OCT. Good news is you'll have about 5 days to get all your stuff ready while in HHC. Even better news, Stenciling your clothes is no longer a thing. Only thing we stenciled was our nape tapes. I wrote my name on all my stuff just incase but no issues. If you can afford it, get the laundry service, its a 100 bucks and makes your life easier. You drop off your laundry outside the barracks before formation and they drop it off clean and folded the next day. You can literally turn in laundry every weekday. If you are short on display items, you just display your laundry slip. Pullups aren't really that much of a thing here. If you enter TAC alley (TAC's office building), you have to do 3. In WOC Olympics you do 5. So super easy. Don't worry about fitting in, you will find a group of aviators and hang with them since you will meet up before all the techs. I was an E-7 prior and we have a street to seat guy in our "circle". Just relax and don't over think or analyze things too much and you'll be fine. The better shape you are in, the easier the course will be for you. Coming from a BCT environment, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

• Like 2

Are you in any way doing yourself a disservice by labeling your uniforms prior to arriving in no specific way? IE you won't have to go out and buy new uniforms?

Mike

What Anthony2447 was referring to is that there is no specific way clothing, and only clothing, has to be marked or stenciled. You can mark or label them however you like for your own identification as long as it doesnt make the item unserviceable.

• Like 2

Those WOCS AARs really do make changes. We stenciled all of our clothes and it never mattered. Thought it was a huge waste of time in addition to many other things we did.

To OP, dont worry too much about it. If you can do 5 pull ups you'll be fine. I think running is much more important.

Just study the WOCSOP when you get it, dont worry about it too far in advance.

And as far as adjusting to the military life. Be a team player and dont be a dick. You'll be fine.