First Contact with Guard Unit, WOSM or Unit?

Im going be trying to make contact with the WV National Guard unit thatd Id like to get picked up with. Im wondering is it better to contact the states WOSM first, and then work towards making contact with the unit? Or is it better to try and make contact with the unit first and go from there. I hear a lot of them have in house recruiters to help people along.

The one benefit I can see of going through the WOSM is that they may have contact info for the unit. I did a decent amount of searching and Im still going to probably have to end up driving to their base and hope to catch some one there.

Luckily for me the unit I am trying to get into is across the street from the WOSM. I have base access (for a few more days at least) and just walked into the unit's office area near the hangar and spoke to some NCOs about why I was there and they took me straight to the CWO5 and I spoke with him for a minute and he told me to go speak to the WOSM and that they could get me the info I needed and how to get started. Everything can vary state by state though.

• Like 1

I guess to actually answer your question, it probably doesn't matter at this stage who you speak to first. I definitely would let the unit know what you are trying to do so they at least have some idea who you are. You are going to have to work with both groups of people throughout the process, but seeing as the unit you are trying to get into are the people that are going to effect you the most as far as selection is concerned you need to be sure to contact them within a few days of speaking to the WOSM. At the end of the day they are just people and the more you talk to the more info you have and the better prepared you will be, just cross check the information.

I actually walked into the guard unit that I'm trying to join a while ago to meet some senior warrants. One was willing to work with me and help me with an LOR with my AD packet. Fast forward a year and a half, I have my state aviation board coming up next week for the Guard. My WOSM was very helpful and was able to help me meet anyone I needed for my guard packet, but he told me I was very lucky because that senior warrant had already introduced me to everyone I needed to meet and had mentored me in the whole process. Good luck!

I contacted the WOSM directly. Just went to the National Guard website, found a name for the state. Phone number didn't worked, but after emailing them, got invited out to their unit and talked with a few folks and they've been helpful and responsive while I've been building my packet so far.