New to the forum

Hello,

I have browsed these forums reading old information off google searches and decided to join up. A little info about me.. I'm almost 23 & I've been wanting to build a helicopter with at least 2 seats and a nice appearance for about 5 years now, I come from a financially poor background & joined the Army a few years ago to learn more about/work on them. I'm currently deployed (afghanistan) and have been browsing kits; the Rotorway 162F appears to be the best option for cost, although I can only find used built up models. The hummingbird would be perfect but it's out of my price range. (60-70k for the build)

I really enjoy working on aircraft & modifying anything mechanical. Flying is pretty cool too, which is why a DIY kit seems attractive to me. I have about 20hrs with the R22, finishing up my PPL when I get back to the states.

Does anyone have any other recommendations/experience with DIY kits?

Looking to have at least 2 seats. A LS7 swap on the 162F would be a big project but might be feasible in the future.

Thank you for reading & for your input!

• Like 1

At this point your only viable option is the Safari. Rotorway is out of business, but there are many used ships available with fewer than 100 hrs on them. No doubt an engine swap would improve the Rotorway, however the LS7 swap would be impractical due to the weight.

The build cost on the Hummingbird is well over $200,000.