MEPs Medical Waiver - Labral Repair Surgeries

Hi all! Im a hopeful contestant for a Warrant Officer Aviation Slot for the November board, given I pass MEPs and a flight physical.

I have stronge LORs and a great ASVAB - 93 composite (124 GT), 285 PT score (self test) and a BS in Engineering Geology, but Im super concerned about getting passed at MEPs for two orthopedic surgeries Ive had on my shoulder (2012 & 2016). Two separate tears, both completely healed and zero complications. While my scars are barely noticeable, I dont want to be accepted into the program on false information, so lying isnt an option for me.

That being said, my questions are:

- Is it possible to get passed at MEPs if I bring letters confirming the integrity of my shoulder from my surgeon? As well as supporting documents from my Physical Therapist to validate that I followed the recovery program exactly as requested.

- if that doesnt suffice, what documentation should I bring to meps to increase my chances of passing?

- if all else fails, I will contest a medical waiver, but that route leaves little wiggle room for me to make the November board. Does anyone know of any complications I may run into for such medical waiver and flying? Or possibly know anyone that has had to seek a medical waiver for such a problem.

I appreciate all the feedback you can give me! Thanks!

Also, would it be best if I schedule an additional appointment with my surgeon and PT and get them to write me a letter stating the integrity of my shoulder is good and such.

Or should I just go to my surgeon and PT after I get the no go from MEPs?

Also, would it be best if I schedule an additional appointment with my surgeon and PT and get them to write me a letter stating the integrity of my shoulder is good and such.

Or should I just go to my surgeon and PT after I get the no go from MEPs?

Get the letters prior to MEPS as it will save you some time, and the age of the letters isnt terribly important.

• 5 months later...

I had a labral repair but seeing as it didn't stop me from joining the infantry, the flight surgeon didn't even request a waiver I was just approved. It's mostly a non issue, other than the fact the new pt test has no alternate events and a few of them could strain a shoulder injury like that. That's a problem that will work itself out in time. For now, you'll be fine. If you can pass the diagnostic entrance pt test you'll be good