A virtual army Huey!

This is the world-famous Trainz Railroad Simulator software. On my model train layout, I have operating aircraft including this helicopter which autonomously flies, lands and takes off.

This helipad is at a USFS ranger station. The Forest Service is fed. govt. so the military aids it at times. This imaginary chopper might be on a fire-fighting or rural disaster recovery mission. This Huey is likely Reserves or National Guard. The weekend warriors do a lot of this kind of stuff.

Originally, the helipad was textured in gravel but I later thought better of it so now the helipad is asphalt. Gravel might get sucked up by prop wash and hurt the bird.

The concierge-service airport fuel truck is only 35 feet away from the "H" on the helipad. The bird is supposed to land right on the "H". The main rotor is no longer than 24.5 feet in radius according to my built-in Surveyor ruler so it has adequate safe clearance from the fuel truck. The civilian contract worker in the orange jumpsuit is supposed to be my hot refueller.

13zr6gx.jpg

This is a new level of nerd.

It's a sort of "Disneylandization" of the aviation world. Most of us will never have the privilege to pilot a real airplane so PC games makes the make-believe version of it "affordable" for most.

The computer allows people to "be" what they can't really be in the real world.

I got you u brother. Just busting your balls.

Is it a flight sim?

No, it's a train sim but has working aircraft imagery as scenery. One can virtually ride in the helicopter to get a bird's eye view of the train layout below.