Daily Job for Guard

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for the Guard to become an aviator in April 2019. I am currently an active duty captain in the Marine Corps and was wondering what Guard aviators do for their daily job to supplement their income. I did do some research, however a daily job can vary from being a Tech to an airline pilot. I am looking into GS-11 or 12 positions in communications field (Comm'O by trade in the Corps) which will allow me to transition into the Guard without taking too much of a paycut. My end-state is to fly as a Guardsman and matain the lifestyle/income that I currently provide for my family. Any inputs/comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

I just got my law degree, not certain I'll end up practicing law though. I will say that given that I'm leaving within the next 6 months or so it has made getting a job a bit difficult. I've also tossed around starting my own business. Airlines seems to be more and more common at my unit.

Depending where you are living police or fire (moreso fire) seems to have a pretty flexible schedule with great pay and benefits, and flexibility for military. This is also something I've considered.

Mike

• Like 1

There are a ton of Military friendly companies in the area where I live currently. My current company is aware and on board, they understand (I work in the building sales industry). But I know that in a 30 minute radius, there are a ton of companies that will work with their employees and still provide a great income for those part-time military soldiers.

I know its dependent of where you live, I have a degree in Theology, but only using it part-time anyways....

Best gigs are full-time guard, but it's nearly impossible to get one right out of the gate as a warrant, and still difficult as a commissioned guy. If you can get a GS job somewhere, especially on post, then you've basically got your employer by the balls and can mostly volunteer for whatever short notice stuff pops up if you can get orders for it. If, however, you are making an honest living, it's pretty tough. Bank on flying 1x per week, plus all the drill weekends and AT every year for 5 years, with you fighting with every other M day guy for the slots on the schedule that work with your job, which is really tough if you work a 9-5; after 5 years if you can make PC then you might start to get some priority handling.

You should get a job as a preacher! Skip every Sunday's drill and guard bum all week! You'd be doing the Lord's work for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am leaning towards obtaining a GS position. Being a firefighter is not a bad gig but I will need to get some schooling done for that. Although I believe in something greater, I am just not cut out to be a preacher lol.

Maybe I should apply for the actice WOFT board that USAREC has once a year for commissioned officers so that way I can continue to serve in the active duty until retirement. But that will require me to obtain a conditional release from the Corps which is not an easy process for commissioned guys like myself.

Is there an opportunity for a guardsman to transition into active duty instead of AGR?

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am leaning towards obtaining a GS position. Being a firefighter is not a bad gig but I will need to get some schooling done for that. Although I believe in something greater, I am just not cut out to be a preacher lol.

Maybe I should apply for the actice WOFT board that USAREC has once a year for commissioned officers so that way I can continue to serve in the active duty until retirement. But that will require me to obtain a conditional release from the Corps which is not an easy process for commissioned guys like myself.

Is there an opportunity for a guardsman to transition into active duty instead of AGR?

why not just go for active duty. finish out your pension so you can have your crayons and eat them too.

• Like 2

why not just go for active duty. finish out your pension so you can have your crayons and eat them too.

I would love to. I heard the 153a board for commissioned officers (held once a year in Jan) is very competitive. I hear a lot of active Army commissioned officers being selected, but I have not heard a single commissioned officer from another branch being selected. Plus it will require for me to obtain a conditional release from the Corps which is a pain in a butt.

I would love to. I heard the 153a board for commissioned officers (held once a year in Jan) is very competitive. I hear a lot of active Army commissioned officers being selected, but I have not heard a single commissioned officer from another branch being selected. Plus it will require for me to obtain a conditional release from the Corps which is a pain in a butt.

Just did the conditional release with the corps. If you need help with the required cover letter let me know.

I think you should try to do it as active and once denied for contidional release go back to your original plan to switch when you get out.

• Like 1