Selected for WOFT with no flight experience

Greetings all.

So, it's been a yearlong process, but I've reached the end of the path (or the beginning I guess) and I have been selected for Warrant Officer Flight Training. Having served in the Marines, I don't anticipate any problems with the military aspects of training, however, I have zero flight experience. I am relatively smart, and I'm sure I can make it, but I would like to be as prepared as possible. I would appreciate any advice in regards to books or manuals I should be studying, and anything else that could help someone with no flight experience succeed in Army Flight School.

Thanks in advance guys.

• Like 1

There is a lot more activity RE military aviation, and specifically WOFT, in the military section of this website. It's primarily all army aviation. A bunch of former Marines in the program and on this site as well.

Only thing I can contribute is I went the Guard route and I have been drilling with the aviation unit for a few months now waiting on flight school. Granted your mileage may vary, but it's a lot "friendlier" of an environment than the USMC was, at least than the infantry. The organization seems to have more "respect" for the individual. I expect this will vary from unit to unit, but some of this is undoubtedly cultural. Good luck!

Mike

Greetings all.

So, it's been a yearlong process, but I've reached the end of the path (or the beginning I guess) and I have been selected for Warrant Officer Flight Training. Having served in the Marines, I don't anticipate any problems with the military aspects of training, however, I have zero flight experience. I am relatively smart, and I'm sure I can make it, but I would like to be as prepared as possible. I would appreciate any advice in regards to books or manuals I should be studying, and anything else that could help someone with no flight experience succeed in Army Flight School.

Thanks in advance guys.

In addition to what Mike said above, you should really think about getting a few introductory flights in at your local FBO if possible. It will be anywhere from $150 for a 1 hour to $600 for a package of a few flights. It isn't required at all, but I highly recommend it as you'll get a taste of flight to boost your confidence and get your bearings. You being military should give you access to a flight club on or near base - just not sure how many have helicopters in their fleet..

Stay away from any a/c with Robinson in the name though.

What are your guys thoughts on learning how to read sectionals/instruments? I've been starting to take a look at that stuff, mainly via youtube videos. I have an old flight sim I've been thinking of dusting off as well (saitek x52 and pedals)... less for the physics and more for the tutorials, also interested in thoughts on that.

I took a couple lessons in an R22 and R44 and thought it was a blast. I know people hate on robbies for various reasons though.

What are your guys thoughts on learning how to read sectionals/instruments? I've been starting to take a look at that stuff, mainly via youtube videos. I have an old flight sim I've been thinking of dusting off as well (saitek x52 and pedals)... less for the physics and more for the tutorials, also interested in thoughts on that.

I took a couple lessons in an R22 and R44 and thought it was a blast. I know people hate on robbies for various reasons though.

I think just about anyone can read a sectional. Most questions you may have are in the legend if you dont know the answer. The thing you could prepare for that people in my class struggle with is making radio calls.

Listen to liveatc.net and try to get comfortable with all the verbology. Pretend youre the pilot and respond to ATC instructions. It may sound silly, but we are now in instruments and clearances are eating people up.