24 replies to this topic

#21 AkAr

AkAr

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:17

What page of the HFH is that on, iChris? Might be better to point the OP directly at the source for all the context.

#22 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).
  • Company working for:Golden Wings Aviation, Brewster, WA (part-time)

Posted 13 September 2018 - 20:42

One "problem" found in doing approaches to offshore oil platforms and drilling rigs is that the wind can be blowing like a mofo.  This renders the ASI fairly irrelevant.  You have to be able to shoot an approach without reference to it.  A 30 knot approach into a 25 knot breeze will take a while.  Obviously, an approach to an offshore structure in a very strong wind will require much more airspeed than usual.  Sometimes you never even lose ETL until you roll the throttle off. 

For nearly all of my 13 (happy) years with PHI I lived offshore during my "hitch."  I used to laugh.  I'd be sitting on one platform out in the GOM on a really windy day, and I'd see another ship (usually a shore-based pilot) landing on a nearby platform.  The pilot would set up what looked to be an OGE hover as he tried to maintain his airspeed, creeping ever so slowly down to the platform.  Obviously he hadn't figured out a way to do the approach using "rate of closure" as the criteria.  And it was funny to me because we ALL are taught that "apparent walking speed" approach stuff.  Obviously, some of us have a hard time grasping it or simply don't put it into practice and rely too much on the ASI.

• Wally, Mikemv and TomPPL like this

#23 iChris

iChris

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 16:03

What page of the HFH is that on, iChris? Might be better to point the OP directly at the source for all the context.

Hopefully, he already knows that information since all good flight instructors emphasize to their students the importance of the Practical Test Standards (PTS) from day one; however, sometimes that’s not the case.

The practical test standards are the fundamentals, the standards, there’s no secrets or mysteries it’s all referenced in the PTS. The instructor should have emphasized the importance and thoroughly indoctrinated him on this document.

The PTS covers the Practical Test Standard Concept, Use of the Practical Test Standards, Training References, Flight Instructor Responsibility, Examiner Responsibility, Satisfactory Performance, Unsatisfactory Performance, etc. 

From page 1 PTS:

"The Flight Standards Service of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has developed this practical test book as the standard to be used by FAA inspectors and designated pilot examiners when conducting pilot—rotorcraft practical tests. Flight instructors are expected to use this book when preparing applicants for practical tests. Applicants should be familiar with this book and refer to these standards during their training."

Any student pilot unaware of the PTS should contact their instructor. 

B. TASK: NORMAL AND CROSSWIND APPROACH 

REFERENCES: FAA-H-8083-21A; POH/RFM. 

NOTE: If a calm wind weather condition exists, the applicant’s knowledge of the crosswind elements shall be evaluated through oral testing; otherwise a crosswind approach and landing shall be demonstrated. 

Objective. To determine that the applicant: 

Exhibits knowledge of the elements related to normal and crosswind approach. 

Considers performance data, to include height/velocity information. 

Considers the wind conditions, landing surface, and obstacles. 

Selects a suitable touchdown point. 

Establishes and maintains the normal approach angle, and proper rate of closure. 

Remains aware of the possibility of wind shear and/or wake turbulence. 

Avoids situations that may result in settling-with-power. 

Maintains proper ground track with crosswind correction, if necessary. 

Arrives over the touchdown point, on the surface or at a stabilized hover, ±4 feet. 

Completes the prescribed checklist, if applicable. 

Link: Practical Test Standards (PTS)

Edited by iChris, 14 September 2018 - 16:13.

• TomPPL likes this
Regards,

Chris

#24 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 14 September 2018 - 21:19

HFH page 9-19
Side boob is just so awesome,...yes it is!

#25 octagon

octagon

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 23:36

Hope I didn't give anyone the impression that my instructor was not training me in the normal way. The Helicopter Flying Handbook, the Practical Test Standards, and the R-22 POH all describe the correct way to perform the maneuver. We use those resources, of course, and naturally, that's how I do it when I fly.

The question just came up in my mind and after thinking about it for a while and researching it I couldn't come up with a convincing answer, which meant there was something I wasn't understanding about the procedure. It seems kind of like a dumb question now, I guess.

I really appreciate the help, it's pretty amazing that people are willing to share their experience. It's encouraging to see how many people still enjoy flying so much that they take the time to answer this kind of question!

• TomPPL and Nearly Retired like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

AMTC - GeneralNFCVRGeneral200LORD_VRFTForum200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsGenesys VRForum200_GeneralSpectrum_VRGeneral468BE_VRGen200