• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polywogkev

polywogkev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 16:48

I recently heard of an off airport landing area that I'd like to utilize if I can get the owner's permission. My friend tells me that they require you to have a $10M liability policy in place to use the LZ.

I am a low-time R44 recreational pilot (110 hours) and normally rent the R44 through my flight school. While the school has hull value insurance, I would need an individual liability policy to satisfy the requirement. Has anyone ever obtained one of these policies? Where should I start my search (initial google results were not helpful)? Do you think with my hours I would even be considered for this type of policy and if so, what price range should I expect? Note, I would only need the policy for 2 days.

Thanks!

#2 RisePilot

RisePilot

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:12

Private helicopter flying is so backwards in the US; any flight school should already have liability insurance on the machines they train/rent.  

I've encountered this when travelling to the US and seeking to hire an R44.  Try the following regarding renters insurance:

• AOPA
  • Starr Aviation
  • Regal Aviation

• polywogkev likes this

#3 polywogkev

polywogkev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:10

Private helicopter flying is so backwards in the US; any flight school should already have liability insurance on the machines they train/rent.  

I've encountered this when travelling to the US and seeking to hire an R44.  Try the following regarding renters insurance:

• AOPA
  • Starr Aviation
  • Regal Aviation

Thanks for the response. The flight school probably does have liability insurance, but the LZ owner would only grant access to an individual (not another heli company) so I need an individual policy to approach them. Appreciate your guidance!

#4 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:56

As a recreational renter myself for the past fifteen years, I gotta say, if someone told me I needed a $10M liability policy to land on their property,...?

I'd land somewhere else!

What can I say, it just doesn't sit right, plus the risk/reward numbers are waaay off!
Side boob is just so awesome,...yes it is!

#5 RisePilot

RisePilot

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:09

Policies in the UK generally have £5 million liability cover (£7.5 million for crown liability) and usually have a £1000 deductible. 

I'm not aware of this not covering a landing anywhere in the country.

As Butters noted, sounds like you're better landing somewhere else.

Seems the US goes a bit mad regarding liability.  We once landed a balloon in California and a crazy land owner came out and demanded we lift and land again in the next area downwind which was an active construction site.  The pilot obliged, but I (being a passenger and not living there) took photos of his license plate and then threatened him physically - my family was in the balloon and this was an open/empty field.

#6 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 13:55

That's a LOT of insurance required which indicates they probably are only comfortable with twin turbine aircraft.  Where are you located and what type of property is it?   

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Spectrum_VRGeneral468BE_VRGen200NFCVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_General