Insurance Question

I recently heard of an off airport landing area that I'd like to utilize if I can get the owner's permission. My friend tells me that they require you to have a $10M liability policy in place to use the LZ.

I am a low-time R44 recreational pilot (110 hours) and normally rent the R44 through my flight school. While the school has hull value insurance, I would need an individual liability policy to satisfy the requirement. Has anyone ever obtained one of these policies? Where should I start my search (initial google results were not helpful)? Do you think with my hours I would even be considered for this type of policy and if so, what price range should I expect? Note, I would only need the policy for 2 days.

Thanks!

Private helicopter flying is so backwards in the US; any flight school should already have liability insurance on the machines they train/rent.

I've encountered this when travelling to the US and seeking to hire an R44. Try the following regarding renters insurance:

• AOPA
  • Starr Aviation
  • Regal Aviation
  • Like 1

Private helicopter flying is so backwards in the US; any flight school should already have liability insurance on the machines they train/rent.

I've encountered this when travelling to the US and seeking to hire an R44. Try the following regarding renters insurance:

• AOPA
  • Starr Aviation
  • Regal Aviation

Thanks for the response. The flight school probably does have liability insurance, but the LZ owner would only grant access to an individual (not another heli company) so I need an individual policy to approach them. Appreciate your guidance!

As a recreational renter myself for the past fifteen years, I gotta say, if someone told me I needed a $10M liability policy to land on their property,...?

I'd land somewhere else!

What can I say, it just doesn't sit right, plus the risk/reward numbers are waaay off!

Policies in the UK generally have £5 million liability cover (£7.5 million for crown liability) and usually have a £1000 deductible.

I'm not aware of this not covering a landing anywhere in the country.

As Butters noted, sounds like you're better landing somewhere else.

Seems the US goes a bit mad regarding liability. We once landed a balloon in California and a crazy land owner came out and demanded we lift and land again in the next area downwind which was an active construction site. The pilot obliged, but I (being a passenger and not living there) took photos of his license plate and then threatened him physically - my family was in the balloon and this was an open/empty field.