Just as the title says. Some new recruiters don't want you to know this. Because, if you don't know how to negotiate your contract when you join. The army will profit from that. After you read this post. please contribute a few benefits if you know any. It's just the honor code. Please do it if you know.
Aside from what you find in a book you can get at your local library. There are several army secrets that they won't tell you in the books either. Here are a few I know.
1) You can negotiate the 6 year long wait period on a VA loan in the army national guard & reserves down to 60 days after you enlist. So right out of basic training, you can get your self a home. Might I recommend qualifying for a 1-4 unit property. So you can collect rent from your tenants. All income you collect from the tenants is eligible for a tax write off.
2) While in basic training they can pay you the full time BAH housing allowance in the reserves. You just have to bring in a lease agreement to your recruiter. When you return home, you go back to the normal salary for your rank.
3) You can negotiate for the army to pay up-to 100% of your student loan. They just make 15% - 30% of the balance each month. You have to negotiate that with your recruiter on the amount they pay. There are reports of up to $50,000.
4) You can negotiate the sign on bonus. If you go for the reserves. Normally it's up-to $5,000. With the right timing and negotiation skill. You can get the same sign on bonus as the guy who signed up for full time.
5)You can negotiate if you stay on or off base during WOFT training. By default you will be staying on base. If you buy a house, you can get the BAH pay when you sell it.
6) You can negotiate how long the VA loan will last, after you leave the army. You can get it for the rest of your life.
7) For the army reserves. If you don't want to stay off base while in Basic/WOFT. You can collect BAH while staying on base too. For some buying and selling a house with 1 year might seem impractical. So that might be a more attractive option. There are reports of up to 4 months of BAH while in WOFT.
8) For the army reserves. You can collect a bonus, when you complete the advanced air-frame training. There have been reports of up-to $20,000. (As submitted by: Barney45) This is good so you have the money you need for the VA loan fees if any when you get back in town.
Here is a good book on the ones they will tell you about. If you educate your self a bit you will be surprised at how much farther you can go in life with the army.