Has the original forum finally imploded?

mudkow60

Some forums (fora?) burn brightly for a while, then some key contributors move on and they seem to fade rapidly - there was one based in UK that was really jumping for many years, but it is now moribund - very sad, it was a good place.

This one runs OK on the military lines, but the civil side has faded and Butters is holding it up - barely.

• Like 1

Before I got banished from that site all I ever saw was HAAP's complaining about there life. Maybe they all finally said f*ckit and moved on to the airlines?

What about swoll bro, he still around?

,...or tree fiddy guy?

I run a forum, have done for years. I also run a huge social media network (60+ channels) unrelated to helis. We keep the forum running as its an easy to search repository for the knowledge that is contained within it. We've seen traffic fall off a cliff over the last 4-5 years, most other forums - this one included - are suffering the same.

The immediacy of social media has taken hold, affecting the attention spans of a lot of users. Most questions we see posted on SM tend to get repeated, users are reluctant now to actually search for anything they need, they prefer to post a question, get immediate answers and then watch that information disappear in the timeline, only to be asked again, by another user sometime in the near future - the cycle then repeats.

The users we get who drift over from SM to the forum all report it as being a breath of fresh air - being able to easily find answers to their questions pleases them. There are still users out there who prefer to have their industry specificinformation presented in the shape of an indexed forum like this, but their numbers are dwindling.

• Like 1

This site comes up consistently with good info when I google for info about helicopters. I was happy to find that it's still populated and the search engine links still point to the right places.

Here's a picture of a helicopter I took with my phone at the local airport recently, for no reason other than that helicopters are awesome.

IaAr1HG.jpg

• Like 1

I tend to avoid offering my opinions and insights on things here because I'm not very anonymous and I feel there are a lot of hostile attitudes here. Why would I come here to ask a question when I know the response would be "Your a professional pilot and you don't know that? You should be ashamed." Or to answer someone's question and ve told I'm wrong and Im an idiot. People don't recognize there's more than one way to skin a cat. The toxicity of some causes the good folks to hold back I think.

• Like 5

Also, to people unfamiliar with them forums are just odd groupings of text on weird websites around the internet. Full of anonymous users with strange names.

Social media groups are familiar, full of pictures, and organized in a way that folks understand and can easily participate in.

• Like 1

Yeah Id agree social media, in particular FB, has taken over. Helicopter Pilots and Helicopter Pilot Network seem to be the big two pages. Im reluctant to post on there because of the flaming many seem to get. I prefer these forums although you need to do some research to make sure the forum you use is appropriate, for example the other forum is more entertainment of which info should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

VR is for real questions and answers. Most of the questions have likely been asked/answered on here countless times before, but they were so long ago it's questionable if the answers are still applicable. The people still on here are likely pretty well set in their career, (Well, except Butters) and therefore don't have much to say.

JH is for the dark side of people to come out, helicopters or not.

Social Media (to me) is like JH but where people sign their names. Dark, full of malcontents.

• Like 1

The original forum has been dead for years. Totally worthless and moronic. Useless for any real info. Most post replies are made by pilots(?) who think they're being hilariously funny - but are not.

• 3 weeks later...

It's always interesting to watch a video like this and see which way the dust/smoke blows before it settles.

Having said that, our intrepid hero in the Astar sure looks like he's in a hurry to get on the ground. That rate of descent...wow! I wonder if it would've worked out even if he had been into the wind?

I don't know whether the ship was technically airworthy after that little do-si-do, but I suspect that even if it was, the EMS crew probably said, "You fly it back, Col. Yeager. We're taking the bus."

I'm glad I'm done with flying. These days there are always cameras on you to record your mess-ups.

• Like 1

Oh that was just awesome!

Thanks Mud, you just made my Monday! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I think I will show that at work. Butters... btw... I actually like interacting with you on here. Sorry I can be grumpy at times. My wife says I am getting to be an old fuddy-duddy.

Just thought I would let you know. Also, had a small fire I dropped on the other day. Fun to get out there and work!

• Like 1

Let's here the analysis from you guys:

Downwind, 9000Alt at site, too fast,

Yes to all. It was dual vortex ring / settling with power. Probably had that collective pulled to his arm pit, but there was no stopping it (prevention on final is key). Run out of power, run out of altitude, run out of skill, and find yourself on youtube. :)

Edit--maybe it could have stopped with good ole Vuichard's technique...but no matter, prevention...

Edited by METT-TC
  • Like 1

It's always interesting to watch a video like this and see which way the dust/smoke blows before it settles.

Having said that, our intrepid hero in the Astar sure looks like he's in a hurry to get on the ground. That rate of descent...wow! I wonder if it would've worked out even if he had been into the wind?

I don't know whether the ship was technically airworthy after that little do-si-do, but I suspect that even if it was, the EMS crew probably said, "You fly it back, Col. Yeager. We're taking the bus."

I'm glad I'm done with flying. These days there are always cameras on you to record your mess-ups.

Try being a firefighter... people recording you from the moment you turn out. Then turn up to an RTA and have to deal with weirdos trying to get photos of your casualties... All I can say is I'm glad I'll be flying soon! :D

• Like 1

Let's here the analysis from you guys:

Downwind, 9000Alt at site, too fast,

'>https://youtu.be/cQ8pZAFogWQ

29-SEP-18

21:00:00Z (15:00 Local NM)

N894NA

EUROCOPTER

AS 350 B2

INCIDENT 3 POB

RUIDOSO

NEW MEXICO