20 replies to this topic

#1 TheSmallLebowski

TheSmallLebowski

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 22:25

I have seen this talked about in a few threads and figured I would start a thread dedicated to this living option.

Does anyone have any insight on living in something like an Airstream while in flight school? I know there is a KOA and a camp ground in the area, but have also heard of people using the parking lots on post to setup temporary camp.

#2 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 22:51

I don’t know anyone who was able to get away with living in parking lots on post. It’s a tiny, boring post with a large DA police/MP presence who love to find reasons to give tickets for everything. A couple hundred dollars more than the monthly rate at an RV park will get you a two bedroom apartment or townhome. You’ll still pocket $3-400 a month in BAH easily.

#3 Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 22:52

How are you supposed to pick up the ladies when you live in a trailer?

#4 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:58

Ive knew a guy who lived off post in daleville at the RV park....but then you have to live in daleville.

#5 Simpsj17

Simpsj17

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:42

Yeah dale Ill seems like a far drive to have be on an flightline schedule

#6 Simpsj17

Simpsj17

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:52

#7 TheSmallLebowski

TheSmallLebowski

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:01

How are you supposed to pick up the ladies when you live in a trailer?

Haha the best kind of women love trailers!
  • mike0331 and originalusernameisoriginal like this

#8 Gideon

Gideon

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Company working for:US Army

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:50

Daleville is literally right outside the main gate :P

I had some guys tell me to go RV before I left for flight school. My parents even are almost full time RVers. However it ended up seeming like too much of a hassle coming out of basic/WOCs to find a purchase and RV to live in. So ended up renting a 2 bedroom by myself off base. Still bring in 200-300 from BAH after everything.

#9 AngryJoe

AngryJoe

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:46

My wife and I researched it for some time, as we pulled our camper from Alaska and have been camping for going on two months.  I want to say there are limted full-time slips on post, they were all booked when we called.  Rather than paying for how many weeks you want to camp, I believe the full-time spots are paid through every 90 days.  If you stay at one of the non-full-time slips, you have to move every two weeks and the rates are a lot higher.  You pay electric at KOA.  It ends up not being as cheap as you think.  Long term spots are taken up until November, with no insight as to if there would be any available come November.   This is all from what I remember.  Call both campgrounds and they will give you the scoop.

#10 mdeneso

mdeneso

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:31

I have a couple friends in my class that are living in RVs. The common motivation is that if you set it up correctly, the 18 months you are here for flight school you can use bah to pay off an rv you can take with you. The rv park outside the enterprise gate isnt too bad and I believe it was about $350 a month.
  • TheSmallLebowski likes this

#11 flanker

flanker

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 13:26

First of all, daleville is an awesome place to live. Second, there are many options for RVs. The best one is the camping grounds on lake Tholocco. 

#12 TheSmallLebowski

TheSmallLebowski

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 14:30

Thanks for the replies everyone. From the responses so far I can see that I'm not the only one crazy enough to try this and that I would need to determine if the hassle is worth the price savings.

I would be looking at no more than $500/month to live somewhere like Lake Tholocco, and would have a truck, bike, and small Airstream just about paid-off by the end of school.

#13 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 19:46

FWIW my house in enterprise is only 498 a month....and its a house.
  • TheSmallLebowski likes this

#14 TheSmallLebowski

TheSmallLebowski

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 22:38

So the only reason I have ruled out a house is to avoid having to deal with it after school. And I hate the idea of renting/living on post knowing I can't recoup any money from the living situation. An RV also appeals to me because I can continue to live in when at nearly any duty station.

#15 Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 23:00

You guys have years to save money and buy a house later.

My suggestions Is while at school get a place that is comfortable and enjoyable to live in. Even if on base. Even if all your bah is used for the rent.

I live on base now and its actualky cheaper than when I lived in town. My commute was 30 minutes and my Jeep isnt exactly a Prius. So while all of my bah goes towards base housing I save money on gas and utility bills.

And Im 12 minutes away from work. So the quality of life outweighs the very few extra bucks I might save by living in town

(Currently in Camp Lejeune Nc)

#16 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:33

So the only reason I have ruled out a house is to avoid having to deal with it after school. And I hate the idea of renting/living on post knowing I can't recoup any money from the living situation. An RV also appeals to me because I can continue to live in when at nearly any duty station.

We are going to get a place and try our hand at renting it. Consensus on here from those who have done it is it's pretty easy. Briefly entertained the RV/Camper idea... but with 3 dogs and no truck would probably be too much of a pain. 

Mike

#17 freebeerforvets

freebeerforvets

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 22:41

Definitely digging this RV idea. Id like to own one anyway so paying it off as housing through flight school sounds like a bonus. Any of you know anyone or have any of you done this successfully?
  • adriel0491 likes this

#18 adriel0491

adriel0491

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:00

I have a friend of mine living in one. His AC broke, main door broke, wind damaged the roof. and it's a 90k dollar RV. Plus not having a washer and dryer makes him waste a few hours a week just to do laundry! Yeah, he Is saving money but is it worth all the extra hustle!?

#19 AngryJoe

AngryJoe

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 15:02

We are currently at the campground. Recommend getting a spot on the hill if available, our spot gets pretty soggy. Youll probably want a smart tote to dump your tanks, unless you want to hook your camper up ever so often and take it to their one dump station. Theres a huge camping world in Dothan for all your trailer and RV goodies. My camper took a beating on the way down here, but all in all its working out alright.

#20 TheSmallLebowski

TheSmallLebowski

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 15:04

We are currently at the campground. Recommend getting a spot on the hill if available, our spot gets pretty soggy. Youll probably want a smart tote to dump your tanks, unless you want to hook your camper up ever so often and take it to their one dump station. Theres a huge camping world in Dothan for all your trailer and RV goodies. My camper took a beating on the way down here, but all in all its working out alright.

Thanks for your insight, I imagine you are at Engineer Beach? How long is your commute? It looks like it is right outside of the gate.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliHelmets-VR HomeLORD_VRHome200Praetor_Home200Genesys VR Forum 200MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200BE_VRHome200NFCVRForum200HomeSpectrum_VRHome200