Getting Selected At Second Look

• 1 month later...

Greetings all,

I've mostly been lurking for the past few months and was recently told by my recruiter that I was NS for the January 2019 board. I'm a civilian and was told that I was "board ready", even though I still need to get cockpit certifications in the 64 and 47 to have my flight physical approved. I wasn't aware that your packet could be reviewed without the flight physical approved.

Recruiter doesn't seem to think that I will be selected in March either, but I told him that I am committed to this. He also mentioned that I would need new LORs for the March board. The earliest one I have is dated November 26, 2018. The latest is December 27, 2018. Can anyone provide insight on this?

Regardless, I thought my packet was competitive with the exception of my college gpa (2.6) being my one weak point. Since there are no longer any battalion board interviews, I did not know how to address this or if I should address this at all in my personal essay. My resume could also use some beefing up.

I am already planning to max the APFT. Would anyone be willing to assist me with reworking my essay and resume to improve my chances of selection in March?

Stats for reference...

ASVAB/GT: 98/131

SIFT: 57

APFT: 287

College: AS in General Studies (2.6 gpa)

92 credits towards BS in Aeronautics

Military: None

Flight: 15.1 hours (1.3 hours solo) Ground school completed

LORs: CW5, (Ret.) Army O-6, (Ret.) Army O-6, (Ret.) Navy O-4

Flight Physical: Will be approved once cockpit certifications are done.

Any help would be appreciated. Shoot me a pm, I'm more motivated than ever.

• Like 1

Astro! Good job staying motivated. I was just selected on my second look. I personally did not update my LORs and they were older. Though it never hurts to try to find better ones.

I didn't know you could board if your flight physical was not complete. Personally, I had to have it before I even did the battalion board.

I would highly suggest working on your essay and resume. That was my main focus this time. In particular, I condensed my resume to one page and took all the fluff out of my essay. However, keep your personal touch, you still want it inspiring and thought-provoking.

The resume however, is in my opinion, your biggest chance to shine. Highlight all the experiences where you've had the chance to lead, gave back to the community, and or learned.

Most importantly, keep that positive attitude! Good luck on your PT test.

• Like 3

Greetings all,

I've mostly been lurking for the past few months and was recently told by my recruiter that I was NS for the January 2019 board. I'm a civilian and was told that I was "board ready", even though I still need to get cockpit certifications in the 64 and 47 to have my flight physical approved. I wasn't aware that your packet could be reviewed without the flight physical approved.

Recruiter doesn't seem to think that I will be selected in March either, but I told him that I am committed to this. He also mentioned that I would need new LORs for the March board. The earliest one I have is dated November 26, 2018. The latest is December 27, 2018. Can anyone provide insight on this?

Regardless, I thought my packet was competitive with the exception of my college gpa (2.6) being my one weak point. Since there are no longer any battalion board interviews, I did not know how to address this or if I should address this at all in my personal essay. My resume could also use some beefing up.

I am already planning to max the APFT. Would anyone be willing to assist me with reworking my essay and resume to improve my chances of selection in March?

Stats for reference...

ASVAB/GT: 98/131

SIFT: 57

APFT: 287

College: AS in General Studies (2.6 gpa)

92 credits towards BS in Aeronautics

Military: None

Flight: 15.1 hours (1.3 hours solo) Ground school completed

LORs: CW5, (Ret.) Army O-6, (Ret.) Army O-6, (Ret.) Navy O-4

Flight Physical: Will be approved once cockpit certifications are done.

Any help would be appreciated. Shoot me a pm, I'm more motivated than ever.

You should maybe contact USAREC directly because Im pretty sure they would not make a packet board ready without your physical being stamped on. You have good numbers so I dont know why your recruiter would have any doubt about your chances getting in.

• 2 months later...

I was selected on my second go, I didn't update anything on my second board. But if you have something that you can put in your packet that could make you look better,by all means update it. Good luck!

Were you a civilian applicant? How does the process work of your second look? I was NS in March 2019. Is my packet still there and automatically gets looked at in May? How do I process/add updates?