HeliSuccess!

Mikevfly

Hmm, 158 views and no responses? Guess all the wanabees have gone elsewhere,...douchebook perhaps? Anyway, I'd tell you my experience with the first one, but then you did say, "success stories", so,...

Do be a good lad and come back to tell us how it went. I'd love to know if the lowtime to liveable wage bottleneck still exists?

,...and of course how the shortage is going?

:D

Went last year after I left my job in Orlando. Had a bunch of turbine time in a 66 but had zero Part 135 experience, so I was looking for that first turbine 135 job to get me airborne. The companies in the canyon didnt give me the time of day for a couple reasons. 1, I wasnt a prior flight school instructor and most, if not all of those outfits like hiring pilots that instructed. And 2, I had just over 2,000 hours and about 650 hours turbine time, so i was pretty much over qualified for anything in the canyon. It was a good networking event though, and for any pilots approaching 1000 hours, I would recommend going. Its not a need to go to event by any means, but could make you some good connections for down the road.

I Ended up meeting three other pilots there that found their way working with me up in Alaska this season with Temsco. So theres that.

• Like 1

Well, you probably weren't "over qualified."

Overqualified to fly tours in the canyon at 2,000 hours,...!? Oh, but then you're still underqualified to fly tours in Hawaii!

Damn, the commercial world is so complex, my head is spinning :o

Yeah, it gets confusing. I hear Maverick and Sundance won't talk to anyone with over 1,500 and 500 turbine!

You know come to think of it, I remember way back Maverick used to post ads for 1,200 and 300 turbine. Capping it at 1,500 and 500 turbine is quite a narrow hiring range.

,...must be the pilot shortage influence!

Edited by r22butters

I'm in town. If anyone sees this and wants to meet up for a bite to eat beforehand shoot me a message!

VR used to have a group that met at the event, even made some lapel pins so they'd recognize each other.

,...wonder what ever happened to them?

• Like 1

It has been a great conference so far and I'm sure tomorrow will be right in line with how it has gone so far. A lot of very knowledgable pilots with great information. An opportunity that I think would be beneficial to any pilot new or old even if you aren't currently looking for a career change as you may again some day!

It has been a great conference so far and I'm sure tomorrow will be right in line with how it has gone so far. A lot of very knowledgable pilots with great information. An opportunity that I think would be beneficial to any pilot new or old even if you aren't currently looking for a career change as you may again some day!

So,...what's the word?

How goes the pilot shortage :D

VR used to have a group that met at the event, even made some lapel pins so they'd recognize each other.

,...wonder what ever happened to them?

Yes, we did. For several years DP and I would attend and invite all the VR members down for a beer. I still have my VR pin. We used to pack 50 or 60 folks into a back room behind the bar. Those were the days.......the way we all communicate has moved on......Fly Safe, Goldy.

Yes, it does sound like there are lower numbers putting in for vacancies, but I don't think the situation is dire yet. However, I think there are probably others that are much more qualified to answer that question than myself.

I did have a great time at the conference though and I'm grateful for the experience and the valuable information I gained. I learned a great deal about the industry, met a lot of people, and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to find out more about the industry or wanting to change jobs within the industry. I'm sure I will be back in the future.

Thank you to Randy, Lyn, and all of the speakers! People like you are what keeps this industry moving along and help us newer pilots along the way. I honestly can't thank all of the speakers, sponsors, and organizers enough for the great experience.

Mike