Anyone's spouse a nurse?

My wife is looking at the idea of just going PRN with the company that she is currently with and coming back home once a month to pick up a few shifts. She may also go PRN in Alabama once we get settled. Itll keep her license current in our home state and keep her job secure for when we move back from Rucker.

I know that service members have their civilian jobs protected under USERRA, but I cant find anything that would legally protect my wifes job while we are at Rucker.

• Like 1

My wife is looking at the idea of just going PRN with the company that she is currently with and coming back home once a month to pick up a few shifts. She may also go PRN in Alabama once we get settled. Itll keep her license current in our home state and keep her job secure for when we move back from Rucker.

I know that service members have their civilian jobs protected under USERRA, but I cant find anything that would legally protect my wifes job while we are at Rucker.

There are currently no federal laws that protect spouse employment. Although if you google Lakesha Cole shes been leading the fight up at congress.

https://militaryspouse.com/military-life/senator-kaine-milspouse-employment/

My wife get's her BSN in December. She is in an accelerated Second bachelors/Masters NP program, but she is planning on taking a year off to work when we move down before starting the Masters part. She is looking into online options through her school to continue on the masters track. The salary is close to double once she has that done. That said, she'll probably be moving down to AL with no nurse-work experience (though she has 5+ years of clinical hospital experience and has close to a 4.0 in her nursing program). Just not sure what the employment opportunities are like down there.

Mike

My wife says the nurses she works with start mid twenties and they have openings. I couldnt find the advertisements online, but heres some information about Dothan jobs.

Flowers in Dothan:https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Registered-Nurse-Salaries-at-Flowers-Hospital,-Dothan-AL

https://www.flowershospital.com/available-positions-nursing

SEAMC: https://www.samc.org/nurse-recruitment/

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

BUMP

Hey Mike, how did WOFT go and did your wife find work as an RN? I am going in front of the board next month and I have been trying to provide information for my wife regarding a move to AL if everything goes well. She is a new RN and will want to work at least part time down there if I get into the program. This whole process is not my wife’s “cup of tea” and I’m trying to make it as easy as possible. Also, where did you find housing and would you recommend? No kids yet, so it would be just her and I and hopefully she’d be working in a hospital somewhere. 

On 3/24/2021 at 10:01 PM, JBar4434 said:

BUMP

Hey Mike, how did WOFT go and did your wife find work as an RN? I am going in front of the board next month and I have been trying to provide information for my wife regarding a move to AL if everything goes well. She is a new RN and will want to work at least part time down there if I get into the program. This whole process is not my wife’s “cup of tea” and I’m trying to make it as easy as possible. Also, where did you find housing and would you recommend? No kids yet, so it would be just her and I and hopefully she’d be working in a hospital somewhere. 

There are quite a few hospitals around here in enterprise, Dothan, and ozark. My wife video interviewed while she was still in CT a few months out and was hired by all three. She ultimately went with flowers in Dothan because they gave her five dollars more an hour and a 10k dollar bonus. Don’t forget that your wife doesn’t have to pay AL taxes she can pay your home states taxes if they’re cheaper or nonexistent like TX for us. 

14 hours ago, GM1 said:

There are quite a few hospitals around here in enterprise, Dothan, and ozark. My wife video interviewed while she was still in CT a few months out and was hired by all three. She ultimately went with flowers in Dothan because they gave her five dollars more an hour and a 10k dollar bonus. Don’t forget that your wife doesn’t have to pay AL taxes she can pay your home states taxes if they’re cheaper or nonexistent like TX for us. 

Thanks for the information! Did your wife get hired on a contract\temporary status being it was just for the duration of flight school? And coming from NYC, I’d imagine AL taxes would be way cheaper! I’m certain she would be taking a pay cut, but with on-base housing or the BAH, it would even out. Did she have a good experience at Flowers?

On 3/24/2021 at 10:01 PM, JBar4434 said:

BUMP

We ended up moving down here with a 4 month old so she opted to just stick with her part time masters (WHNP/CNM) program which was largely remote due to covid. She did manage to knock out a couple of her clinical placements at the urgent care here, and she stayed home for an extra month after HBL for her OB rotations. 

She did get a couple offers when she applied. I think they may have been per diem positions, but she wasn’t looking for full time work with the baby and daycare being a sh*t show due to covid. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, JBar4434 said:

Thanks for the information! Did your wife get hired on a contract\temporary status being it was just for the duration of flight school? And coming from NYC, I’d imagine AL taxes would be way cheaper! I’m certain she would be taking a pay cut, but with on-base housing or the BAH, it would even out. Did she have a good experience at Flowers?

She is working there currently and it is just a contract for a two year obligation but just pay back whatever of the 10k you didn’t work out which is just free money. She can stay there as long as she likes though if we were to stay in the area. 

My wife worked as a nurse at flowers in Dothan for a year while I was in flight school. The hospital was pretty old but she liked the people she worked with. The hospital has a lot of nurse turn over due to a lot being spouses of flight school students. 

The pay is absolute sh*t though. $23 an hour and no overtime if you work a holiday, first time she’s ever seen that. Also, they have a rotating schedule that the employee had no control of. All done by management. You just request time off. 
It was rough, but it’s Lower Alabama so there isn’t much competition for pay. 

TLDR - Wife says if I get stationed at Rucker she’s going to live with her parents and work in California. 

23 an hour for a nurse is nuts. Usually starts at least 10 bucks more than that at home. I know for my wife’s program she had to research practice differences around the country for NPs/CNMs and it’s nuts how they get screwed down here and start at 6 figures back home. 

22 hours ago, camsbaugh said:

My wife worked as a nurse at flowers in Dothan for a year while I was in flight school. The hospital was pretty old but she liked the people she worked with. The hospital has a lot of nurse turn over due to a lot being spouses of flight school students. 

The pay is absolute sh*t though. $23 an hour and no overtime if you work a holiday, first time she’s ever seen that. Also, they have a rotating schedule that the employee had no control of. All done by management. You just request time off. 
It was rough, but it’s Lower Alabama so there isn’t much competition for pay. 

TLDR - Wife says if I get stationed at Rucker she’s going to live with her parents and work in California. 

Thanks for the information! The pay is definitely not a selling point for her considering they start at nearly double at home 😕 I appreciate the info!