Good states to join the National Guard? Good MOS other than WOFT?

Hello all,

I have been a member here for a little while now. I've pursued the WOFT dream in the past but it did not work out. However, I am still at it as I am only 30 years old and still within the window of opportunity.

My intention is to join the national guard and pursue WOFT. Since I'm still single, I am able to relocate to anywhere in the country. I have two questions:

1. What are some good states to join that are perhaps in need to WOFT applicants? Any states to avoid for any reasons?

2. What is a good MOS in case WOFT doesn't work out?

By the time I move, enlist, and am able to put a packet in, I'll be 31-32 years old. I probably have one shot left and if it doesn't work out again I will be stuck in my original MOS. So, I'd like to ask you guys and girls for your input at what you think a good alternative MOS would be in case I can't be an aviator.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by droz88

If you want to fly don’t enlist in the Guard, just submit another packet for selection as a civilian. If you enlist in an aviation MOS you’ll probably wait around six months to go to basic and then spend another 6 months in basic/AIT. You’ll be 31 before getting to your first Guard unit and then will need to spend some time proving yourself in order to earn the recommendations needed for your packet. You’d probably be close to 33 or past and need an age waiver before getting a packet submitted to the board.

I appreciate the responses so far. As far as states go I am still open for suggestions but, since I'm willing to fly anything, I will just go to whatever state seems like it would work out best in aspects other than the military.

As far as MOS's, let me rephrase my question. If you had a burning desire to serve, but could not be a pilot, what MOS would you shoot for as an alternative?

I appreciate the responses so far. As far as states go I am still open for suggestions but, since I'm willing to fly anything, I will just go to whatever state seems like it would work out best in aspects other than the military.

As far as MOS's, let me rephrase my question. If you had a burning desire to serve, but could not be a pilot, what MOS would you shoot for as an alternative?

Well we want you to-go pick up a gun. That's the job nobody wants to do. Because it's the actual fighting. 97% of these other jobs are non-combat rolls. So you can do the good jobs, unless you have the bravest soul I have ever seen. Besides, Muhammad who did that too. And changed the way Saudi Arabia fought wars. With no prior military experience and a sword.

Hello all,

I have been a member here for a little while now. I've pursued the WOFT dream in the past but it did not work out. However, I am still at it as I am only 30 years old and still within the window of opportunity.

My intention is to join the national guard and pursue WOFT. Since I'm still single, I am able to relocate to anywhere in the country. I have two questions:

1. What are some good states to join that are perhaps in need to WOFT applicants? Any states to avoid for any reasons?

2. What is a good MOS in case WOFT doesn't work out?

By the time I move, enlist, and am able to put a packet in, I'll be 31-32 years old. I probably have one shot left and if it doesn't work out again I will be stuck in my original MOS. So, I'd like to ask you guys and girls for your input at what you think a good alternative MOS would be in case I can't be an aviator.

Thank you in advance.

SC has a need for 64 pilots right now....

SC has a need for 64 pilots right now....

Yes, You can get in an AH-64 Apache. It's actual combat. And a bit safer than say being on the ground. But that's not what we care about. We care about the fact that you actually had the bravery to go out there on the front lines in that thing, and did your part.

For that, I solute them.

The best thing you can do is really think about what interests you have, then pick a MOS that match those interests. Do you enjoy a more Tech environment, if so look at the Signal Corps or Cyber. Mechanics interest you, then there are plenty of options, Logistics?, there is Transportation and Quartermaster. Once you have taken your ASVAB you'll have a better idea of what is available to you, not all MOS are available all the time and you may have to wait longer for the one you want.

I'm not really sure where the comment comes from that nobody wants to "pick up a gun". At least among Commissioned Officers, Infantry is the most sought after branch of the Army, I'm sure that runs true for enlisted as well. You just have to decide if that's the job you want, while it has the Hooah factor, other MOS may give you more practical training for civilian employment since you would be in the Guard.

Just as a side note, I don't think anyone would want someone to "Solute" them.....whatever that is.

• Like 1

The best thing you can do is really think about what interests you have, then pick a MOS that match those interests. Do you enjoy a more Tech environment, if so look at the Signal Corps or Cyber. Mechanics interest you, then there are plenty of options, Logistics?, there is Transportation and Quartermaster. Once you have taken your ASVAB you'll have a better idea of what is available to you, not all MOS are available all the time and you may have to wait longer for the one you want.

I'm not really sure where the comment comes from that nobody wants to "pick up a gun". At least among Commissioned Officers, Infantry is the most sought after branch of the Army, I'm sure that runs true for enlisted as well. You just have to decide if that's the job you want, while it has the Hooah factor, other MOS may give you more practical training for civilian employment since you would be in the Guard.

Just as a side note, I don't think anyone would want someone to "Solute" them.....whatever that is.

He is just saying that because he doesn't have the guts to go pick up a rifle. Nor does he know what its like to risk his life for the freedoms he enjoys sitting at the base. Doing a good job like photo journalist. So he put that rifle in sombody somebody else's hands like a coward.

You better be thankful we don't fight wars like they used to. Or the draft would make all of us do that job eventually. Meaning after the last wave dies. So yes, it's a job nobody really wants to do. And I respect them for putting there life on the line with me. On the ground.

Since I'm still single, I am able to relocate to anywhere in the country. I have two questions:

I forgot to mention, since you are willing to relocate you'll have a better chance of getting the MOS you want. Having the ability to look at different NG units, you can see what MOS slots they need or have available.

You can apply to WOFT from any MOS, one tip though would be to try and find a unit that has Aviation, this way you will have better access to those you will want LOR's from. Working within an aviation MOS will give you closer contacts but it isn't a requirement.

Just make sure you choose something that interests you in case you are unable to move to WOFT. Don't just look at the MOS title, research what type of follow up training it offers, will that training help you in your civilian job while you're in the NG and after you get out. Some MOS may not seem all that glamorous but the training you receive can really help outside the Army, look at the total picture.

I forgot to mention, since you are willing to relocate you'll have a better chance of getting the MOS you want. Having the ability to look at different NG units, you can see what MOS slots they need or have available.

You can apply to WOFT from any MOS, one tip though would be to try and find a unit that has Aviation, this way you will have better access to those you will want LOR's from. Working within an aviation MOS will give you closer contacts but it isn't a requirement.

Just make sure you choose something that interests you in case you are unable to move to WOFT. Don't just look at the MOS title, research what type of follow up training it offers, will that training help you in your civilian job while you're in the NG and after you get out. Some MOS may not seem all that glamorous but the training you receive can really help outside the Army, look at the total picture.

I'm thinking infantry. It looks like you get to do some really cool stuff. As far as job training goes I already have a 4 year degree and work as a professional which I'm content with. I've browsed several MOS's and I mean no disrespect but nothing has the appeal like infantry, aviation, or possibly armor. What do you guys think about those?

Edited by droz88

I'm thinking infantry. It looks like you get to do some really cool stuff. As far as job training goes I already have a 4 year degree and work as a professional which I'm content with. I've browsed several MOS's and I mean no disrespect but nothing has the appeal like infantry, aviation, or possibly armor. What do you guys think about those?

No disrespect taken, I missed that you already have a degree. I have absolutely nothing against the Infantry, and you're right, the MOS's you mentioned can have "cool stuff" training. You shouldn't have trouble finding a Guard unit with openings in Infantry and Armor, Aviation shouldn't be an big issue since you're willing to relocate. With a 4 year degree you'll be able to enlist as an E-4.

As an infantryman, if youre trying to go Warrant one day in the future its a good packet builder but can make it tough to find the CW3-5 recommender. Id suggest going aviation if you want to be a pilot one day

• Like 1

I live in upstate NY, but I would like to move out of NY state.

Dependent on how far away you want to move and what airframe you are looking to fly. PA has a pretty large aviation unit at Ft Indiantown Gap. CT and VT have units also.

I live in upstate NY, but I would like to move out of NY state.

If you move south....South Carolina has a pretty sizable Aviation Unit as well, broken up between Columbia and Greenville (60s and 64s are in Columbia, 47s and 72s are in Greenville). Cost of living is low, but you also have the opportunity to find a pretty decent job (Depends on what you want to do, of course)