Good states to join the National Guard? Good MOS other than WOFT?

I know MA and CT need UH-60 pilots. I think you can't beat the leadership skills you will gain as a grunt, but if you are basically trying to find the best path to become a pilot in the Guard, I would think a repairer in aviation in whatever state you want to fly for would be your best bet. That said, a lot of grunts go aviation as well.

My two perspectives are 1. As a repairer in the state in which you will fly you will get very familiar with stuff you really should know anyway as a pilot, or alternatively 2. as a grunt you will get very familiar with the mission aviation ultimately exists to support. Both would presumably be helpful to your career as a pilot.

I'm a former grunt sitting in the pipeline for Guard aviation waiting on schools.

Mike

Pennsylvania has the largest Army National Guard so maybe going to a state with a larger guard presence and big budget would offer some benefits?

However a state with a small guard may offer an advantage because youll be less of just a number.

As far as an enlisted MOS, I would recommend something that familiarizes you with army aviation and allows you to make contacts. Helicopter Mechanic, UAV operator, ATC. All of those give seem like they would be good options.

Also, you could look for a job that will give you a valuable skill that translates well to the civilian side in the event WOFT doesnt work out for you. Medical equipment repairmen make very good money civilian side and there is an MOS for that.

However you do it, good luck on your endeavors.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update to make others aware of something I found.

If you are pursuing WOFT, and for whatever reason it does not work out but you still want to serve in the military, then a good alternative for WOFT might be to join the army under a 11x Option 40 contract.

This contract allows you to try out to join the 75 Ranger Regiment to become an Army Ranger right off the street just like WOFT. Rangers are special forces and the program seems to be a bit of a step up from regular Army Infantry.

Not a bad alternative at all if you ask me. I wanted to update with this find since some people can't get into WOFT, and as much as that sucks there are other options if you still want to serve in the military and feel you want to be challenged a little more than what the regular Army would offer.

Edited by droz88

Good Morning,

I am prior service Marine and have began looking into a career as NG aviator. I recently read an article from the NV NG that was published in the Spring ‘18 stating the high demand for guard aviators. I was curious to see if this need still existed, and if so, does the NV NG have a “street to seat” program for prior service individuals? I’m also curious if anyone knows what the needs are for UT NG 64 pilots? I would be willing to travel there if I had better chances of getting selected.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently overseas with the nasty girls everyone speaks so highly about. No worries its all in good rivalry fun. A little background on myself. Ive been in the Infantry for 8 years and an NCO. Have a bachelors and finishing up my masters as well. The National Guard definitely has its pros/cons as any branch of service, but overall been good to me. Been able to go to a lot of cool guy schools, lead/train soldiers, finish my degree and get a solid civilian job. I just finished my packet recently and will be boarded in April when I get back from deployment.

To answer your question, California has a good amount of slots for both O and WO routes. They have fixed wings units, blackhawks, chinooks and lakotas. I cant speak on the difficulty of going street to seat in the Guard. But I can say, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the infantry. Definitely a great baseline in opinion. Best of luck with your decision.