Security Clearance Adjudication

Picked up on July board, leaving for BCT 1/15. Since July, I haven't heard anything about my security clearance after my initial phone call with a person at OPM confirming my information. Fast forward to now, I still haven't heard anything. My recruiter moved so I got stuck with new guy who has no idea about my packet or anything. I've asked him multiple times for an update and he said he didn't have that kind of access.

I finally call the head of the recruiting station and she says that it's good to go and I'm good to ship next month. Obviously I can ship without a secret clearance, I was just more concerned with it being done by the time basic was over. I made some calls and got with someone at OPM who told me my initial clearance was done in September, which makes me assume it was then sent to the DOD for final adjudication?

I haven't heard anything else, so I'm either assuming I have a clearance and no news is good news, or it's still in adjudication? None of my references were called or anything which was why I was concerned, but I have read that a lot of times if everything checks out they won't call references on a secret.

Does anyone else know a number to call to check if the clearance is final, or should I assume it's complete and I'm good to go?

Your clearance paperwork was opened a few days after signing your contract. There is little chance your background investigation has been completed as of now. Adjudication will take about a month after completion. it should take anywhere from 6 to 8 months to complete the whole thing.

There is a chance you won't have it complete by the time WOCS starts but I wouldn't worry about that. It will most likely be done by the time you finish basic.

Your clearance paperwork was opened a few days after signing your contract. There is little chance your background investigation has been completed as of now. Adjudication will take about a month after completion. it should take anywhere from 6 to 8 months to complete the whole thing.

There is a chance you won't have it complete by the time WOCS starts but I wouldn't worry about that. It will most likely be done by the time you finish basic.

That was my thought, but when I called OPM they stated it was done September 27th? So I guess that's where my confusion lies at the moment.

That was my thought, but when I called OPM they stated it was done September 27th? So I guess that's where my confusion lies at the moment.

Yeah. That is the date that NBIB or DSS started the investigation or the date you were given the green light for an "Interim Clearance"; which doesn't help you because you need a fully adjudicated to attend WOCS.

That just means your FBI fingerprint check and NAC came back O.K.. You still have a long way to go.

They have been backlogged for years.

The file can get lost between OPM and DOD CAF and it will show as in the ajudication phase in JPAS but will be in limbo indefinitely. Have them check if its been in "ajudication" for months. Had this happen to me recently. OPM had to resend the file to DOD CAF, clearance posted a couple weeks later.

The file can get lost between OPM and DOD CAF and it will show as in the ajudication phase in JPAS but will be in limbo indefinitely. Have them check if its been in "ajudication" for months. Had this happen to me recently. OPM had to resend the file to DOD CAF, clearance posted a couple weeks later.

Who would I contact to check this? I spoke to OPM today and I confirmed that they were 100% done with it and it had been sent to the Army for adjudication 9/25.

Take a breath and don't worry about your clearance. Focus on becoming the best Soldier that you can at BCT.

In the Army, you will have security managers for a reason. It is their job to liaise with OPM and sort out any potential issues. Once you get through BCT and arrive at your next duty station, engage the issue at that point. Give the system a little trust. Odds say that your clearance is being worked appropriately (albeit slowly).

Yeah I hear ya. I guess if there is one thing I've learned through the WOFT process, especially flight physicals, if you want it done, you gotta reach out and make sure it's getting done. Just didn't want to get out of BCT to find out I have to wait for another WOCS class date due to my clearance not being finished, but I guess it's out of my hands at this point.

Take a breath and don't worry about your clearance. Focus on becoming the best Soldier that you can at BCT.

In the Army, you will have security managers for a reason. It is their job to liaise with OPM and sort out any potential issues. Once you get through BCT and arrive at your next duty station, engage the issue at that point. Give the system a little trust. Odds say that your clearance is being worked appropriately (albeit slowly).

Yeah I hear ya. I guess if there is one thing I've learned through the WOFT process, especially flight physicals, if you want it done, you gotta reach out and make sure it's getting done. Just didn't want to get out of BCT to find out I have to wait for another WOCS class date due to my clearance not being finished, but I guess it's out of my hands at this point.

The WOFT "process" is part of the game. Your security clearance is a hammered out process that will get done correctly. Like the OP said above, there are plenty of people in the Army whose job it is to track your clearance process. They will be making sure it is ready for you to start WOCS.

Also speaking from experience, blind faith in the system can bite you in the rear. It will probably get worked out, most of the time. Nobody cares about your career more than you, so never be afraid to tactfully inquire about things. Had I not done that I would have missed my WOCS date.

• Like 1

Also speaking from experience, blind faith in the system can bite you in the rear. It will probably get worked out, most of the time. Nobody cares about your career more than you, so never be afraid to tactfully inquire about things. Had I not done that I would have missed my WOCS date.

I agree completely. Doing this got my flight physical checked off at Rucker rather than a couple of months.