I am a senior in high school. How is my WOFT packet so far? Any advice?

Maxbub

Hello everyone, I am a pretty new member and I am still learning to navigate the forums. I apologize if a similar post has been made elsewhere.

I am currently a senior in high school going through the WOFT packet process. So far:

• Police records- clean record
  • Health- Everything is good other than glasses, correctable past 20/20
  • Asvab - 97
  • GT - 133
  • GPA - Weight: 4.0, Unweighted: around 3.5
  • Education: High school diploma (graduating tomorrow)
  • Flight experience- none
  • College credits- none
  • Essay - Second draft completed
  • LORs - None so far, but I got in contact with one of my senators.

I have heard mixed answers about this. Some warrants including a few high school to flight schoolers told me that it is very possible for me to get selected. Some tell me that I should drop a packet but be ready to get denied because of my age and lack of experience. My first recruiter told me straight up I won't get in and he wanted me to enlist. My second recruiter is helping me through the entire process. I would like to know how you guys feel about my stats, and if there is anything I could improve on.

Some questions I have are:

If I am selected, what is the time between selection and shipping out to basic?

Any tips on studying for the SIFT?

How should I approach service members for letters of recommendation, given the fact that I know very few.

Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated.

The general military forum here would be a more appropriate place to post this. Do you live near a military base(reserve or active) with an aviation regiment? Call and ask for an interview. You may get denied a few times or told to go away but keep at it. Im currently being boarded thanks to cold calling military bases around me. Your PT score is important for civilians, make sure you get 270+ minimum. Where do you live? Im on the east coast in NC, I would be more than willing to introduce you to the warrant officers I have met.

• Like 1

Good ASVAB score, study to match it with your SIFT. High test scores go a long way in helping your packet. The same advice goes for the PT test, start working out to get your score as high as you can. Don't worry about the flight experience, although I recommend spending the hundred or so bucks on an intro flight. Doesn't have to be in a helicopter.

If you do end up requesting a LOR from an Army Aviator, prepare yourself for a job interview. They're not just going to hand you one.

Everything in your packet should be neat and professionally done. If it looks sloppy at first glance, fix it. That means spending a lot of time formatting your resume, carefully selecting your suit and getting a sharp haircut for your DA photo, practice hand writing your essay, etc.

Edited by SBuzzkill

The general military forum here would be a more appropriate place to post this. Do you live near a military base(reserve or active) with an aviation regiment? Call and ask for an interview. You may get denied a few times or told to go away but keep at it. Im currently being boarded thanks to cold calling military bases around me. Your PT score is important for civilians, make sure you get 270+ minimum. Where do you live? Im on the east coast in NC, I would be more than willing to introduce you to the warrant officers I have met.

Hey! I am in North Carolina as well. I'm going to MEPS tomorrow. If you could get me in contact with them after MEPS (I assume they would want to make sure I can even be in the military before writing me letters), it would be HUGE. Thanks so much. By the way, you can reach me at 919-717-8350 or mgsun501@gmail.com

Good ASVAB score, study to match it with your SIFT. High test scores go a long way in helping your packet. The same advice goes for the PT test, start working out to get your score as high as you can. Don't worry about the flight experience, although I recommend spending the hundred or so bucks on an intro flight. Doesn't have to be in a helicopter.

If you do end up requesting a LOR from an Army Aviator, prepare yourself for a job interview. They're not just going to hand you one.

Everything in your packet should be neat and professionally done. If it looks sloppy at first glance, fix it. That means spending a lot of time formatting your resume, carefully selecting your suit and getting a sharp haircut for your DA photo, practice hand writing your essay, etc.

Thank you for your reply! When would I actually begin on my packet? Would my recruiter give me the documents to start it or something? I am going to MEPS tomorrow we are still in the early stages.

Invest in a professional to help you with your resume. And some interview prep. It's a small price to pay for what you're seeking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I am in North Carolina as well. I'm going to MEPS tomorrow. If you could get me in contact with them after MEPS (I assume they would want to make sure I can even be in the military before writing me letters), it would be HUGE. Thanks so much. By the way, you can reach me at 919-717-8350 or mgsun501@gmail.com

Hey man quick recommendation, don't put your phone number and email just openly on the internet, save those for PMs on the forums. Its real easy for bots to get a hold of your phone number and spam call ya just saying.

Lots of your questions have been answered on the forums before but here is the down and dirty.

If I am selected, what is the time between selection and shipping out to basic?

It varies, I waited 6 months some guys are now saying 8 in other chats but you may get lucky and be sent within a couple.

Any tips on studying for the SIFT?

Personally when I took it in '17 I used the FAA rotary wing handbook for the aviation related information and this study guide off of Amazon for the SIFT specific information. Also check out some of the SIFT info threads for more up-to-date information about it. Idk how much the test has changed in 2 years.

How should I approach service members for letters of recommendation, given the fact that I know very few.

As has been previously discussed, try for cold calls if you have no personal contacts. I got lucky at the time and randomly chatted with a CW3 when I was at work and he pushed me on to a CW5 who was my eventual LOR. So even just talking with people to get advice can help out. And like Buzzkill stated treat you first contact with them as a job interview b/c they could be your boss one day.

Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated.

The worst anyone can tell you is no. You have already worked past the "you are too young" because that is a bunch of baloney. Be prepared to hurry up and wait. It starts with waiting to finish your packet, then the board, then shipping to basic, and there is always something else coming up. Just focus on the tasks in front of you and get em done. The Army loves to yell get this done now so that you can stand around for awhile. But flying is pretty freaking fun.

EDIT:

Just realized this is posted in the General portion of the forums. You will have a lot more luck focusing your search over in the General Military portion of the forums as well.