Applying to Multiple States NG

Speaking for California (most states are probably similar):

In order to apply for WOFT you must interview with, and be recommended by, the Aviation Battalion Commander and Flight Facility Commander you will eventually belong to. You then have to go to an in-person flight school selection board and a follow-on in-person Federal Recognition Board. One of their biggest talking points is longevity within the State and commitment to the training requirements associated with being an aviator. If selected by the State Aviation Office and pass the FEDREC board, you will become a WOC and await your WOCS/IERW school date (you then belong to the aviation unit and must begin drilling).

While probably not impossible to apply to more than one state, there will be plenty of legwork required and they will want to see total dedication to the process.

In order to apply for WOFT you must interview with, and be recommended by, the Aviation Battalion Commander and Flight Facility Commander you will eventually belong to. You then have to go to an in-person flight school selection board and a follow-on in-person Federal Recognition Board. One of their biggest talking points is longevity within the State and commitment to the training requirements associated with being an aviator. If selected by the State Aviation Office and pass the FEDREC board, you will become a WOC and await your WOCS/IERW school date (you then belong to the aviation unit and must begin drilling).

While probably not impossible to apply to more than one state, there will be plenty of legwork required and they will want to see total dedication to the process.

Oh okay, being from Arizona, California seems like a good state to look into. Is street to seat an option in California? Additionally, what are the airframes in California?

California has a live and well Street to Seat program. Reach out to the Southern CA WOSM, he is super helpful if you are serious about it.

UH-60s in Orange County

UH-60s, CH-47s and UH-72s in the Central Valley

UH-60s around the Sacramento area

The nice thing about the Army Guard is once accepted into a unit, you will know exactly which airframe you will fly going into WOCS/IERW.

California has a live and well Street to Seat program. Reach out to the Southern CA WOSM, he is super helpful if you are serious about it.

UH-60s in Orange County

I am 17 and starting college in a few months. I almost have my private pilot's license and I will be going to college to study aviation. Would it be appropriate to call him now, or should I wait?

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to multiple states, none of which I lived in. Was accepted by both (along with active duty) and made my decision based on that. I expressed how serious I was about moving to the state that hired me and also displayed knowledge of how everything works in the interview (since I was already in the reserves and understand how the Guard/Reserve thing works). All of that along with a competitive packet should help any Board look past your distance from the unit.

UH-60s in Orange County

The nice thing about the Army Guard is once accepted into a unit, you will know exactly which airframe you will fly going into WOCS/IERW.

I can second this. I'm a civilian in the process of street to seat right now and Chief Dieu has been nothing but helpful in guiding my recruiter and I through the process.

Also, is the in-person board interview still a requirement? I'm reading mixed messages from various people and haven't actually talked to the recruiter about this yet. I've seen some say that the in-person selection board is no longer in effect (for civilians at least). Personally, I have no idea.

Also, is the in-person board interview still a requirement? I'm reading mixed messages from various people and haven't actually talked to the recruiter about this yet. I've seen some say that the in-person selection board is no longer in effect (for civilians at least). Personally, I have no idea.

Word on the street is it is no longer required.

Edit: Also some talk over here confirming that.