March Board 2019

Made this new topic for everyone who is applying for the March board. I didnt get selected on the January board but Ill submit some updates and see how it goes.

My stats are as follows

ASVAB GT: 113

SIFT: 48

APFT: 283

EDUCATION: 28 Credits throughs AS in GS

FLIGHT: None

LORS: O-2 with Assumption of Command Orders , O-5, CW5

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, E-6, 13F, 6 years TIS

PHYSICAL: Stamped and Approved

WAIVERS: 3 Moral Waivers

Good luck everyone

• Like 1

A week prior

Guess I'll hope I make it to this board. My stats are:

ASVAB GT: 128

SIFT: 63

APFT: 290

EDUCATION: 100+ credits towards bachelor

LORS: 0-4/0-5/W-4

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, E-5, 5 years TIS

WAIVERS: 2 Moral Waivers

Good luck everyone

I was selected on the January board. Just wanted to post my stats. Comparing stats to other members that were NS that were similar or better makes me believe the quality of LORs and the resume are the most important part. I emphasized very hard in my resume about how commited I was to staying in, I also reenlisted to drive my point home. I feel like it also helps to submit an extra LOR and every aviator I spoke with was very receptive to helping. Write up a LOR, take your packet and start bugging people. Goodluck to all this board and please feel free to PM me.

ASVAB GT: 121

SIFT: 48

APFT: 262

EDUCATION: 81 credits, 2 associates

LORS: O-3 , O-5, CW4 from 160th, O6 aviator

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, E-5, 68W, 3 years TIS

WAIVERS: 1 Moral Waivers

Good afternoon,

Seeking some info on street to seat program. My son, 17 yoa just started into the process. He will graduate High School in May with a 3.7 GPA. We currently have 6 letters of recommendation, 2 from Asst Police Chiefs, his JROTC Instructors, a retired Navy Senior Chief (E-8), and a U.S. Army 1st Lt. None of his LOR's are from anyone in the aviation field. The recruiter is shooting for the March board. He has a GT that qualifies but has yet to take his physicals, PT test, or the SIFT. my questions are:

What percentage of applicants to the WOFT program are street to seat?

Are the SIFT study guides worth buying and using?

What is considered to be a competitive SIFT score?

How tough are the boards on the younger applicants (He is currently the unit Senior Chief for his NJROTC unit, and speaks very well under pressure)

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who was contributed to these forums by sharing your experiences with this process. Your help has made this process a lot less painful then it would have been without it.

From what I've learned on these forums, a well written resume and strong LORs will give you your best shot at getting selected.

ASVAB GT: 137

SIFT: 78

APFT: 293

EDUCATION: AA Degree, 75 credits towards BS w/ 3.5 GPA

FLIGHT: 2700 hrs as enlisted aircrew

LORS: O-4, O-4, O-5 (All USAF Pilots)

OTHER INFO: AD USAF, E-5, 6 years TIS

WAIVERS: No waivers

Good luck everyone. Here's to everyone making it this board!

My whole application has been a shitshow so far (not on my part). Finally my package is complete and it's somewhere in QC but haven't heard anything back. What all happened and/or how long did it take for anyone to get in touch with you to actually get this finished? Talked to my recruiter last week and asked him to email me the last steps or whether I'd have to talk to the battalion commander so they will recommend me. No response. I'm kind of tired chasing after recruiters and contemplating whether I'm going to call the IG on Monday...

My whole application has been a shitshow so far (not on my part). Finally my package is complete and it's somewhere in QC but haven't heard anything back. What all happened and/or how long did it take for anyone to get in touch with you to actually get this finished? Talked to my recruiter last week and asked him to email me the last steps or whether I'd have to talk to the battalion commander so they will recommend me. No response. I'm kind of tired chasing after recruiters and contemplating whether I'm going to call the IG on Monday...

It is my understanding you don't need a battalion recommendation since you don't need a battalion board. They did away with that step last Sept. If it's up in QC like you said, the recruiter has sent it to battalion to and someone is checking for mistakes before sending it to USAREC or it's already been forwarded to the SFC at Fort Rucker in charge of making sure the packages are complete for the convening board. Find out if he sent it to the SFC because if there's no mistakes, he will accept the package for the March board.

Question, when did your recruiter say it went up for QC?

Jlopez13,

As far as I know, it's been wherever since Jan 9. But he said something about me still needing the waiver worksheet (I have no waivers) and that there is no selection board. Instead, an area rep will select me. So I'm hesitant to trust what he is doing/saying because that's not how it works.

I'm aware they did away with the board but he said the battalion commander may still want to talk to me. Like an interview with just her or something. Possibly just on the phone. Lots or uncertainty.

Kur, if your recruiter is not responding, you might try your station commander. He should be able to call your recruiting battalion and clear things up. I got in a little trouble for calling the battalion myself even though it worked for getting answers. I still had to do the battalion board when I applied so my experience is different. However, the way it worked for me was after the battalion board there was a designated person who worked at the battalion who QC'd and submitted the packages to USAREC. That's probably the person who is asking for the waiver, and that your recruiter needs to talk to. Your recruiters probably know who this person is as he would be submitting OCS packages after the OCS boards for them all the time as well.

As far as the battalion commander wanting to see you, just wear a suit and he will go over your package and ask you some questions. Just a little interview, no big deal. For me it was a prerequisite to the battalion board. He probably thinks he should still do that to make sure you're good to go.

In addition, you are correct about the area rep thing. I never heard of that. Maybe they are just trying to say the battalion will directly submit your package to the USAREC board thus skipping the now not required battalion board. Which is in fact the case

• Like 1

Jlopez I'm emailing you.

Mitch, my recruiter is the station commander. Yeah... fml.

When he told me about the waiver form I immediately downloaded it (yea I found it myself. he didn't send it to me). Didn't know what all I needed to fill out so I contacted him and he said he hadn't heard anything back yet. But he had just told me someone told him they wanted that form. You see how that gets frustrating quickly?

Good afternoon,

Seeking some info on street to seat program. My son, 17 yoa just started into the process. He will graduate High School in May with a 3.7 GPA. We currently have 6 letters of recommendation, 2 from Asst Police Chiefs, his JROTC Instructors, a retired Navy Senior Chief (E-8), and a U.S. Army 1st Lt. None of his LOR's are from anyone in the aviation field. The recruiter is shooting for the March board. He has a GT that qualifies but has yet to take his physicals, PT test, or the SIFT. my questions are:

What percentage of applicants to the WOFT program are street to seat?

Are the SIFT study guides worth buying and using?

What is considered to be a competitive SIFT score?

How tough are the boards on the younger applicants (He is currently the unit Senior Chief for his NJROTC unit, and speaks very well under pressure)

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'll try to answer a few questions, but lots of research and due diligence on your (your son's part) will be needed. These forums are a great resource, so please read everything you can.

First he will need to visit an Army recruiter and find one that will help him. Do not let them convince him to enlist first. Street to seat is what you want.

As far as letters of recommendation go, choose the best 3 and submit those. Most board reviews only have a few minutes to go over your entire packet, and having 6 LoRs will just make it more likely the worst one will get read and the good ones will not even be looked at.

Percentage wise, civilian applicants only board against other civilians, so you will not be competing against people that are currently serving.

A competitive SIFT score is generally considered above a 50. But keep in mind that the ASVAB and SIFT matter less than the APFT, LoRs, and the essay.

For civilian applicants, younger people usually have it harder. It does happen and they do get selected, but you are generally competing against people in their mid 20's who have had jobs and been in proven leadership positions for a few years. Right outside high school is a little harder, but having JROTC could help there.

He likely won't have to interview since they just did away with that at the battalion level, so make sure the entire packet is strong.

I'll try to answer a few questions, but lots of research and due diligence on your (your son's part) will be needed. These forums are a great resource, so please read everything you can.

First he will need to visit an Army recruiter and find one that will help him. Do not let them convince him to enlist first. Street to seat is what you want.

As far as letters of recommendation go, choose the best 3 and submit those. Most board reviews only have a few minutes to go over your entire packet, and having 6 LoRs will just make it more likely the worst one will get read and the good ones will not even be looked at.

Percentage wise, civilian applicants only board against other civilians, so you will not be competing against people that are currently serving.

A competitive SIFT score is generally considered above a 50. But keep in mind that the ASVAB and SIFT matter less than the APFT, LoRs, and the essay.

For civilian applicants, younger people usually have it harder. It does happen and they do get selected, but you are generally competing against people in their mid 20's who have had jobs and been in proven leadership positions for a few years. Right outside high school is a little harder, but having JROTC could help there.

He likely won't have to interview since they just did away with that at the battalion level, so make sure the entire packet is strong.

Thanks for the reply XIIGage. We are in very beginning of this journey and we have given all responsibility going forward to our son. I will have him start posting any further questions.

Take three at getting board ready.

Civilian applicant

-GT: 131

-SIFT: 64

-APFT: 293

-Education: B.S. dual track major

(214 credits 3.0 GPA)

-Flight: none

-LORs: O-4 CH53 pilot, CW4 60M pilot, Command Sgt Major USASOC, current civilian boss

-Physical: Stamped

-Waivers: None

Packet QCd and good to go. Extremely hopeful.

• Like 1

I have a question about the APFT for the street to seat. My recruiter told me that I am not required to do the full PT test: 2 min pu, 2 min su, 2 mile run. He said I would have to do some deadlifts, standing jump, ball toss, and a run.

When I was USAREC website, it said I needed DA form 705, which is the full PT test.

My question is, will I need to do the regular PT test?

Thanks in advance