• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#21 EDGE0311

EDGE0311

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:36

I'll try to answer a few questions, but lots of research and due diligence on your (your son's part) will be needed. These forums are a great resource, so please read everything you can.

First he will need to visit an Army recruiter and find one that will help him. Do not let them convince him to enlist first. Street to seat is what you want.

As far as letters of recommendation go, choose the best 3 and submit those. Most board reviews only have a few minutes to go over your entire packet, and having 6 LoRs will just make it more likely the worst one will get read and the good ones will not even be looked at.

Percentage wise, civilian applicants only board against other civilians, so you will not be competing against people that are currently serving.

A competitive SIFT score is generally considered above a 50. But keep in mind that the ASVAB and SIFT matter less than the APFT, LoRs, and the essay.

For civilian applicants, younger people usually have it harder. It does happen and they do get selected, but you are generally competing against people in their mid 20's who have had jobs and been in proven leadership positions for a few years. Right outside high school is a little harder, but having JROTC could help there.

He likely won't have to interview since they just did away with that at the battalion level, so make sure the entire packet is strong.

Thanks for the reply XIIGage. We are in very beginning of this journey and we have given all responsibility going forward to our son. I will have him start posting any further questions.

#22 toucan

toucan

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 20:35

My recruiter has been telling me that my packet has been sitting at WOMOS proponent for validation and QC. I submitted my packet 3 weeks ago. Should I be worried?

#23 Captainstank056

Captainstank056

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 22:18

My recruiter has been telling me that my packet has been sitting at WOMOS proponent for validation and QC. I submitted my packet 3 weeks ago. Should I be worried?

Not at all. Just keep reaching out each week

#24 Seminole

Seminole

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 14:59

Take three at getting board ready.

Civilian applicant

-GT: 131

-SIFT: 64

-APFT: 293

-Education: B.S. dual track major
(214 credits 3.0 GPA)

-Flight: none

-LORs: O-4 CH53 pilot, CW4 60M pilot, Command Sgt Major USASOC, current civilian boss

-Physical: Stamped

-Waivers: None

Packet QCd and good to go. Extremely hopeful.
  • hcb2574 likes this

#25 Acatino199

Acatino199

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 15:39

I have a question about the APFT for the street to seat. My recruiter told me that I am not required to do the full PT test: 2 min pu, 2 min su, 2 mile run. He said I would have to do some deadlifts, standing jump, ball toss, and a run.

When I was USAREC website, it said I needed DA form 705, which is the full PT test.

My question is, will I need to do the regular PT test?

Thanks in advance

#26 Seminole

Seminole

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:05

I have a question about the APFT for the street to seat. My recruiter told me that I am not required to do the full PT test: 2 min pu, 2 min su, 2 mile run. He said I would have to do some deadlifts, standing jump, ball toss, and a run.

When I was USAREC website, it said I needed DA form 705, which is the full PT test.

Thanks in advance

Yes, you need the regular PT test. Behind LORs and essay, the APFT score is (allegedly) one of the most important parts of your packet in determining selection.

#27 XIIGage

XIIGage

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:39

Thanks in advance

Normal enlistment does not require a full PT test as he said, but the WOFT packet does, and as Seminole mentioned, is allegedly one of the more important factors in the packet.

#28 astroninja

astroninja

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 13:36

I was NS for the January board. I'm assuming that I was not fully qualified, because my flight physical just recently got approved last week. Here's hoping that the approved flight physical and some other updates improve my chances.

Civilian
GT: 131
SIFT: 57
APFT: 287 (working to get those last 13 situps and a 300 for March)
Education: Associate Degree 2.6 GPA
LOR: CW5,two Ret. Army 0-6, Ret. Navy 0-4
Flight: 15.1 hours with one solo
Flight Physical: Stamped

Revised my personal essay and updated my resume.
More motivated than ever and praying that I get picked up this time. Good luck to everyone!

#29 Kur

Kur

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 18:11

I may, at long last, be board ready. Tentatively optimistic so here are my stats. (Some of which I'm not sure about anymore because it's been over a year since I took the ASVAB and SIFT.)

Civilian
GT: 12?
SIFT: 63
APFT: 26?
Education: B.S in Engineering (Biotech) GPA 3.4 , B.S. in Project Management GPA 4.0
LOR: O3 (Aviator), former boss-civilian, two O4s, and an O5
Flight: 0
Flight Physical: No waivers
  • Kur likes this

#30 Seminole

Seminole

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:32

I may, at long last, be board ready. Tentatively optimistic so here are my stats. (Some of which I'm not sure about anymore because it's been over a year since I took the ASVAB and SIFT.)

Civilian
GT: 12?
SIFT: 63
APFT: 26?
Education: B.S in Engineering (Biotech) GPA 3.4 , B.S. in Project Management GPA 4.0
LOR: O3 (Aviator), former boss-civilian, two O4s, and an O5
Flight: 0
Flight Physical: No waivers

Dont you mean Age: 3?

Jokes aside congrats on getting squared away. Welcome to the dark side (I plan on killing the other March board thread)

#31 Kur

Kur

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 20:03

Dont you mean Age: 3?

Jokes aside congrats on getting squared away. Welcome to the dark side (I plan on killing the other March board thread)

You wisecracker! But thank you. Also, is it March yet?

#32 toucan

toucan

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 21:29

My packet is at USAREC pending moral ETP approval. Crossing my fingers that Ill be good to go for the March board.

#33 Seminole

Seminole

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:21

Stats? ^ We are a good ways out Id say you have a solid amount of time for approval.

You wisecracker! But thank you. Also, is it March yet?

The marine who wrote my LOR is a specimen of a human, a real science experiment. I asked him to put me into a coma and wake me up in March.

He unfortunately declined :(

#34 toucan

toucan

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:39

Stats? ^ We are a good ways out Id say you have a solid amount of time for approval.

The marine who wrote my LOR is a specimen of a human, a real science experiment. I asked him to put me into a coma and wake me up in March.

He unfortunately declined :(

Stats posted on the first page.

#35 Pmortillo

Pmortillo

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 19:29

It seems I'm getting mixed information.

My recruiter is telling me the packet deadline is March 4th. Is that accurate? Because on the website it's telling me that the UPDATES deadline is March 4th and the packet deadline was January 18th

Recruiter is scheduling my SIFT for next week because he wants me to have my packet in by March 4th (mind you I just started gathering LOR's, but haven't done my flight physical, or AFPT). Don't want to rush this if I don't have to.

Civilian Applicant

GT: 123

SIFT: Next Thursday

AFPT: Not scheduled

Education: B.A. - 3.9 GPA

LOR: In progress of gathering (Federal Probation Officer I interned for), (CW4 who wants to see my AFPT before he agrees to interview me), and O3 (Retired) USMC Aviator (who is also my Uncle, so this might not fly as I hear they don't want family references).

Flight Physical: Scheduling

#36 Seaturtle

Seaturtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:36

Good luck everyone.

#37 XIIGage

XIIGage

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:45

It seems I'm getting mixed information.

My recruiter is telling me the packet deadline is March 4th. Is that accurate? Because on the website it's telling me that the UPDATES deadline is March 4th and the packet deadline was January 18th

Recruiter is scheduling my SIFT for next week because he wants me to have my packet in by March 4th (mind you I just started gathering LOR's, but haven't done my flight physical, or AFPT). Don't want to rush this if I don't have to.

Civilian Applicant

GT: 123

SIFT: Next Thursday

AFPT: Not scheduled

Education: B.A. - 3.9 GPA

LOR: In progress of gathering (Federal Probation Officer I interned for), (CW4 who wants to see my AFPT before he agrees to interview me), and O3 (Retired) USMC Aviator (who is also my Uncle, so this might not fly as I hear they don't want family references).

Flight Physical: Scheduling

Civilians can submit their packets pretty late and still make the board. I submitted mine a week before the board and had no issues.

Now if you don't have your SIFT or flight physical done yet I don't see you making the March board in time. Typically you have to do 2 separate appointments for your flight physical which can take some time to schedule. But hey, you never know.

Just go through the process and it will be done when it's done.

#38 toucan

toucan

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:34

Not a whole lot of replies for this board. I feel like the past few months topics have been much more active.

#39 Seminole

Seminole

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:56

Not a whole lot of replies for this board. I feel like the past few months topics have been much more active.

I have a theory that dropping selection rates are going to make for lower applicant numbers, possibly resulting in a quieter forum. Civilian applicant numbers followed this trend.
FQ-S/Total applicants
Sept: 25/51
Nov: 20/48
Jan: 20/39

But in reality who knows. The wait for March is agonizing.
  • astroninja likes this

#40 toucan

toucan

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 18:23

I have a theory that dropping selection rates are going to make for lower applicant numbers, possibly resulting in a quieter forum. Civilian applicant numbers followed this trend.
FQ-S/Total applicants
Sept: 25/51
Nov: 20/48
Jan: 20/39

But in reality who knows. The wait for March is agonizing.

Yeah I does feel like forever ago since I submitted my packet. I only submitted it a week before the deadline too.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

BLR 200FreeFlight_Home200MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200Guidance Home 200Spectrum_VRHome200LakeSuperior200PrecisionVRForumHome200