A few questions.

Hello everyone, I'm a 21 year old college student interested in WOFT. Unfortunately I made an extremely selfish, irresponsible, and just plain stupid decision last March which resulted in me being charged with a DUI. I have a few question for anyone willing to help me out.

1.) Is it at all possible to ever make it to WOFT with a DUI? By the time I would even apply, I would have at least 3 years between me and the DUI. If it is "possible", have any of you actually heard of guys making it into WOFT with DUI's or anything of that nature?

2.) In your opinion, what option would make me a more competitive applicant...

Option A-Having a bachelors degree with a high GPA or...

Option B-Attending a two year flight school(which I will link below), and having an AAS degree, PPL, CFI, instrument ratings, and 250-300 hours of flight time.

Flight Program https://www.aims.edu/academics/aviation/profPilot.php

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Oof, I often tell people the worst they can say is no. Which I will still tell you that if you really want to go WOFT give it a shot man. But.... the Army does not play around with DUIs. Getting a DUI during flight school is the quickest and probably one of the higher reasons people get kicked out of flight school. It's up too you how bad you want it but I don't know what the likelihood of that being successful.

Hello everyone, I'm a 21 year old college student interested in WOFT. Unfortunately I made an extremely selfish, irresponsible, and just plain stupid decision last March which resulted in me being charged with a DUI. I have a few question for anyone willing to help me out.

1.) Is it at all possible to ever make it to WOFT with a DUI? By the time I would even apply, I would have at least 3 years between me and the DUI. If it is "possible", have any of you actually heard of guys making it into WOFT with DUI's or anything of that nature?

2.) In your opinion, what option would make me a more competitive applicant...

Option A-Having a bachelors degree with a high GPA or...

Option B-Attending a two year flight school(which I will link below), and having an AAS degree, PPL, CFI, instrument ratings, and 250-300 hours of flight time.

Flight Program https://www.aims.edu/academics/aviation/profPilot.php

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Yes I've heard of people getting waivers for DUI's. From what I understand, your track record since it happening is vital to getting that waiver. I'm not sure if 3 years is enough time to establish yourself as being rehabilitated but there's only one way to find out.

So the WOFT program is technically an enlistment, you are just enlisting to go to WOCS/Flight School. In order to qualify for basic enlistment, the DUI is waiverable. However, with the waiver you do not initially qualify for a Secret security clearance. A secret clearance is required for WOFT.

You are qualified to enlist but not qualified for an initial security clearance. Once you are in, you can apply for one. That is the only way as of right now that you would be able to attend Flight School for the Army.

I'm an AD recruiter, put a guy in 2 months ago with a DUI and Drug/Alcohol offense will not get an initial security clearance, once you get to your Unit and talk to your S2, you can fill out your SF 86 and they can start your clearance, but MEPCOM (MEPS) will not approve you initially.

So the WOFT program is technically an enlistment, you are just enlisting to go to WOCS/Flight School. In order to qualify for basic enlistment, the DUI is waiverable. However, with the waiver you do not initially qualify for a Secret security clearance. A secret clearance is required for WOFT.

You are qualified to enlist but not qualified for an initial security clearance. Once you are in, you can apply for one. That is the only way as of right now that you would be able to attend Flight School for the Army.

I'm an AD recruiter, put a guy in 2 months ago with a DUI and Drug/Alcohol offense will not get an initial security clearance, once you get to your Unit and talk to your S2, you can fill out your SF 86 and they can start your clearance, but MEPCOM (MEPS) will not approve you initially.

So if I understand correctly, by enlisting the poster can become eligible for a clearance. Can this route make a person eligible sooner than simply staying a civilian and waiting for enough time to pass since the DUI? I’m wondering as I am in a slightly similar situation.

Short Answer is yes. However I think you have to wait 7 years for it to fall completely off of your record. Getting a security clearance when you are already in is the easiest way. Your recruiter still has to fill out you SF 86, it is just nor processed for a clearance. Once you get to your Unit, you will already have the SF 86 done, turn it into your S2 and get your PSIP started.

That's what I am aware of but perhaps somebody on this forum has had a different experience.

• Like 1