WOCS Questions

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I've been talking with an Army recruiter and considering WOCS, and I definitely have a few questions for you all. I would be a street to seat candidate as I recently graduated with a 3.9 GPA. I've taken a practice ASVAB so far, but haven't begun to officially study for the ASVAB or SIFT. I'm still in the preliminary stages and just have some general questions about the process, flight school, and being a warrant officer.

1. If for some reason I failed flight school, would I be chaptered out or reassigned to an enlisted MOS? My recruiter informed me that the Army has recycle programs that allow you to retry parts of flight school that you fail (I never read anything about that, so I figured I would double check his information with you all).

2. If denied security clearance (for whatever reason), is it the same game? Reassigned to an enlisted MOS?

3. I have no prior experience flying, but I went into the recruiter's office knowing I was interested in either Intelligence or Aviation. Will my lack of flying experience/knowledge work against me during flight school? (I hear you need to be at the top of your class if you want to fly the helicopter of your choice).

4. I read somewhere that Warrant Officers also fly drones for the Army? Is that accurate? Are street to seat candidates eligible to fly drones under 153A?

5. I also read that most people do not fail flight school because they are unable to fly, but it's usually because they mess up and get a DUI or something. Why is that? Is flight school not that hard? My uncle flew C130s for the Marines in the early 90's, and he is making flight school seem like the most competitive/intense thing he ever went through.

That's really all of the questions I have for now, I'm sure I'll have some more as I begin to move along in the process! Thanks for your help and happy to have found this forum! It has provided me with some much useful information.

1. For the most part I have only heard of people getting dropped out of the Army if they don't pass portions of flight training. Although I haven't heard of too many folks failing so far. The "recycle program" he talked about may be the retraining. Most guys if they fail an academic test will just take the test again after they "retake" some classes. Or if you fail a checkride or have too many unsats you go on a "progression ride" where they determine if you need more flight time to get to a passing point. Then you continue on with training.

2. Again I personally have not heard of anyone not getting their security clearance. Had a few folks in my WOCS class who got held up for a couple of months till it gets cleared. And unless you have some really shady stuff in your background that ya are trying to hide shouldn't be a problem.

3. No. I think in my primary class out of the 50 people 10ish had some sort of flying experience? Street-to-Seat is designed as just that. To take someone of the street to being a pilot. They build ya from the ground up.

4. Quick Google, Yes Warrants do something with drones. No it is not an option at selection. Requires prior enlisted experience as a UAS guy.

150U Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems (TUAS) Operations Technician

15W, 15E - USMC MOS 7314/6214; USAF AFSC 1U0X1; USN NEC 8361-4, 6-8 (MOS Prerequisite Waiver Required for ALL sister service)

5. If you put forth the effort you will be able to make it through. If you have more questions on that PM me and I can try to explain more.

Hope that answers some questions for you.

• Like 1

Gideon pretty much nailed it but I'll add onto question 3 and 5.

3. Having prior experience in flying/aviation has little to no effect on your graded performance in flight school. No matter your experience they still start from ground zero with you, and I've seen on more than a couple of check rides, pilots who had private and/or commercial pilots license, get a lower score than their no experience counterparts. It's nothing to worry about. And as far as selecting what you want, being the top of the class gives you the ALL the options of that class, however not every selection gets a chinook or C12s so you kinda have to prepare for that. But if you're dead set on 1 airframe, be #1 in the class, it's possible.

5. Throughout training if your instructor feels you're falling behind, you may be granted additional hours for you to keep up. It's not as common as it sounds and honestly it doesn't necessarily mean you're actually behind. Learning to hover is literally just a feeling, when you "get it," it's like your hands already know what to do. And to learn that feeling takes different times for different people. I have seen 1 person be denied additional hours (you're allowed 15 additional hours, 5 hours at a time), and that was based solely on their prior academic and flight line performance. The point I'm trying to make is, it's rare, pay attention in academics and listen to your instructor, you're going to be fine. And lastly, as far as the difficulty of flight school, it's all dependent on you. Flight school is entirely what you make it, some kinda "slide by," they study a lot but party and/or have a family to tend to (nothing wrong with that). Or if you don't have those things it's up to you, you can spend every other waking moment studying for the next test or check ride. But it's all about balance, balancing your personal life with flight school, it's up to you.

And my last bit of advice is for everyone about to start WOCS, lol, don't worry about WOCS, it's easy, almost seemed enjoyable in retrospect. And such a small part of the process... Good luck

For anyone whose recently been to WOCs. When you report to rucker 10 days prior to in process post are you living in the barracks from that point on or are you still allowed to be with your family until your class starts?

It all depends on the guidance put out at HHC during in-processing. You will have 2 different report dates, the PCS report date which is 10 days prior and the actual class report date. When I went through, I was allowed to go home and be with my family until the actual class report date. I dont know how true it is but I heard a couple classes after my class they quit letting people do that. They will tell you at HHC when you sign in.

• 3 weeks later...

Ill be graduating BCT (currently active duty Coast Guard) at the end of July and my WOCS class 19-020 begins 27 or 28 August...during that month before WOCS I intend to move my family up. Is that a realistic goal or should I plan to move them up after WOCS? Im thinking it would be easier on my kids to start the school year in Enterprise on the first day of school there rather than a month later. Im also under the assumption that Ill be away from the house for the entire 5 week course? Is that accurate?

Ill be graduating BCT (currently active duty Coast Guard) at the end of July and my WOCS class 19-020 begins 27 or 28 August...during that month before WOCS I intend to move my family up. Is that a realistic goal or should I plan to move them up after WOCS? Im thinking it would be easier on my kids to start the school year in Enterprise on the first day of school there rather than a month later. Im also under the assumption that Ill be away from the house for the entire 5 week course? Is that accurate?

Yes that would be a good time to move your family! Definitely do everything you can to move them during that month between basic and WOCS. You will only get 5-10 days after WOCS to do anything depending on when you are slotted to start WOBC. To your other question, yes when you begin WOCS you will be locked down there for the entire course!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Pmmeforstuff said:

Can anyone tell me about the land nav. I'm over worrying about it. Also what happens if I fail and get dropped and fail the recycle. Am I sent to needs of the army?

Don’t stress it, 3/4 points is a pass. If you fail you’ll get 1 more attempt the following day. If you fail that you will likely get recycled to the next class. Use known points, if you try to dead reckon you will get lost. The points are luck of the draw some are way easier than others.

5 hours ago, gravityrideseverything said:

Don’t stress it, 3/4 points is a pass. If you fail you’ll get 1 more attempt the following day. If you fail that you will likely get recycled to the next class. Use known points, if you try to dead reckon you will get lost. The points are luck of the draw some are way easier than others.

Yeah I need to chill. I'm over thinking it