Battalion Board Still Required? (WOFT)

Hello,

I am a Civilian WOFT Applicant from the Middle TN area. I recently saw a thread on the forum that said that USAREC no longer requires a battalion board.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/21434-battalion-board-no-longer-needed/

I asked my recruiter about this, and she said that there most certainly is still a BB, and that she has heard nothing about any changes. I told her about "USAREC Message 19-012" and she doesn't know what I'm talking about... Is her battalion command just out of the loop? Anyone have any idea of what is going on?

I would prefer that there was NOT a BB, because I am still waiting on my flight physical to get back from Rucker. But at the end of the day, I just want to be well-informed so I can make the appropriate preparations.

Thanks

Negative ghostrider.

No more battalion boards for us civilians.

There was a MILPER sent out on this two or three months ago. Your recruiters and the BN are out of the loop. I had to do my security clearance at a station recently that wasnt the one I normally work out of. It was news to them (he looked up the MILPER and confirmed for his own sake)

It was a formality for civilians. If you didnt absolutely flop you were 3/3 recommended. It was superfluous and rightly eleminated.

Personally, I would have liked qualitative board comments in my packet. The only idea the USAREC board gets of you is your essay, photo, and LORs now. Make em count.

• Like 1

She apparently just called her Battalion command, (Nashville) and they said they still have BB's scheduled this March, for the upcoming May board... It's not that I don't believe you, but who else's word can I go off of besides the Battalion command itself?

Negative ghostrider.

Those are OCS boards they have scheduled (ran simultaneously to time and dates for WOFT candidates, we used to have to wait for all the OCS guys to finish before being called in)

But Im sure someone else can pipe up here. Trust but verify is a good policy to live by.

Or for more a more verified source, call up a couple other recruiting stations and see what they know.

• Like 1

Affirm,

The problem is that most recruiting stations don't know ANYTHING about WOFT. I was lucky to find one that has had experience in the past.

It is hard to really "verify" anything as a civilian, because I'm sure many of USAREC policy changes are internal messages. Should I call the Battalion Command directly? Or would that look bad to do?

I'll do so. Hopefully this thread will help anyone else whose recruiter is out of the loop.

Although, really it doesn't matter if there is or isn't a BB. Like you mentioned, it looks good to have their endorsement. On the other hand, you get more time.

I just want to confirm. Even without a battalion board, it still has to go through battalion for a quality check before it is sent out correct? Or is battalion just completely by-passed now?

My recruiter got back to me,

After speaking to her command, evidently they missed the message. She is still trying to figure out if the packet still has to be signed off by the Battalion Commander before being sent to the main board.

Anyone else who is in the same predicament, make sure your recruiter knows there is no longer a battalion board.

Quick question:

Because there isn't a battalion board, my recruiter is having a hard time finding out if it still needs to be checked by battalion command first. Are there any active recruiters on here that might know?

Thanks!

Packet will be completed by the recruiter. From there it has to be QC'd (Quality Check) by the Battalion operations NCOIC. Once it is checked, it will be forwarded to Proponent for any waivers and finally to Ft Knox and USAREC for the actual board. Times at proponent vary depending if you have to have any waivers approved.

That being said, it is not necessary for the packet to be signed of by the Battalion Commander, however, the BC will normally like to take a look at it for errors. Occasionally the applicant will get a call from the BC or Bn XO if they have any questions. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thanks! The issue she is having is that on the USAREC website it says March 22nd deadline for the May Board... Does that mean she will need to send the packet to Battalion at that date, or will Battalion have to forward it on that date? Evidently my Battalion Command (Middle TN area) is just out of the loop with everything concerning WOFT right now...

I have seen comments in the forum of people saying that civilian WOFT applicants can send their packet a few weeks before the board date and still be accepted. I'm taking that with a grain of salt though.