WOCS 19-019

Ahhhhh that might be why, if you had one already and it had just expired, the continuance would be granted.

Needless to say I worked on secret for three years before my investigation was completed. I dont see why you wouldnt be allowed to attend if the paperwork is already submitted and investigation has been started.

Newish policy, cant start with an interim clearance anymore. So I have to wait as they do the field investigation. Apparently this is quite common in the last few months with street to seat guys from what HHC told me.

More time to prep for land nav I guess (which is done day 3 now because of how many candidates have been failing)

Learn how to plot points and read a map and you'll be golden. The course doesn't even require a compass, just look at the map and follow the trails.

Also get comfortable with your pace count. As someone who was a land nav retest but doesn't generally suck at land nav, that was my downfall on day 1. I found my first 2 points which were a good distance off the road in the woods, and my last point was literally on the road... but there are a few points along the road. I was off by ~150 meters or so and was feeling cocky. When I went through on day 2 I made sure I verified my pace count two and from each point from my attack point. I had plenty of time to do this on day 1, but didn't.

Is there an easy way to get a pace count while jogging? I am almost dead on 100 paces per 100 meters but thats while walking.

If your pace count for 100m is 100 steps you’re either taking baby steps or counting each foot as it hits the ground. Count one step for each time your left foot hits the ground, whether it’s walking, jogging, etc. The course should have a pace count section for you to verify on and depending on course might have one on a flat road, one going up a hill, one through tangled trees, etc, since those will all vary.

You have time to verify your pace count at the beginning of the course, jogging, walking fast on pavement, and walking "through the woods." Make sure you aren't inadvertently pacing yourself off another soldier, especially as they are corralling the 100 or so of you through the little path for the pace count. It's a stupid easy land nav course, and I'm embarrassed that I did it twice. The only people who failed on day two were completely, 100% clueless about land nav. 90% of the retests just made dumb mistakes on day 1.

The land nav course is not bad, but do not take it lightly. Over the last 7 classes I have seen go through, there have been on average 7-10 candidates who get pulled out of their class for failing land nav, and recycled to another class for their last shot. Listen to the instructors, figure out what works for you and dont do something that doesnt work for you just because your buddy does it that way.