76 replies to this topic

#41 Dyin2fly

Dyin2fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:02

Whelp, I was not selected for the March board.  I'll be joining you guys in the May board.  Once I go about improving my scores, I will post my stats here.  

Does your packet automatically get boarded in May? Do you follow the same updates and corrections deadlines on the USAREC website? My recruiter is insisting that if I want to submit again that I have to get all of the updates I want completed. Then submit the whole packet. I thought that my packet has already been submitted so it is still sitting at USAREC waiting to board in May, and that I would submit updates (new pt test, lor, etc). Could someone please shed some light on how I need to go about this??
  • SwissK31 and Dyin2fly like this

#42 Whip

Whip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:50

Hi All, 

This is my first post. Thank you all for the help thus far, I've gained a ton of information just by browsing through forums. I'm putting together my WOFT packet and have a few questions. I'm a 28 year old civilian working with a recruiter to get everything submitted for the May board. My recruiter said there is a May board starting the 13th of May and the packet should be submitted two weeks prior. I found on the recruiting command website that there is a packet deadline for 153A of 17 May for the 15-19 July board and that the deadline for the May board was 22 March. Are those dates accurate and should I be targeting a packet submittal of 17 May? Is that board then held in July or is it held in May? 

#43 DocWerner21

DocWerner21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 13:36

FQ-NS for March Board for me.

hoping things look better for me in May!

#44 Dyin2fly

Dyin2fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 17:17

Sorry to hear that, sergeant..

#45 montyC

montyC

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:14

praying for you man!

#46 luisleal08

luisleal08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:44

Whip, 

You can check out the board dates on the warrant officer usarec website. From my knowledge, it seems as if you can submit your packet up to two weeks from the actual board date. With that said, the process can take anywhere from 6-18+ months.

Check the block on the things you will need, LORs, essay, medical, clearance, etc. Having good "stats" is one thing, but I feel like "stats" are no factor. Where you make, your money is on those LORs and WOFT essay. 

Furthermore, having a motivated recruiter helps and being personally motivated helps as well. My recruiter has been busting his ass for me and is staying true to his six-month goal of getting me to sign a contract. I have been able to achieve specific things that I feel might separate me from the pack. Develop a dynamic like that, and things should go smoothly. 

Lastly be patient, quality over quantity. From what I have read on these forums and guys I know personally, everyone wants to get picked up quick, signed contract quick and get to flying as quickly as possible. Take a realistic look at yourself, compile the information, and set a realistic goal as to how long this road will be. If you can't make it to a board because you are not 100% satisfied with your work then push it. 

High schoolers want it to happen quick af but it's like, okay what do you have to offer the Army. I have been fortunate enough to have service time, receive civilian rotorcraft training, have college and okay test scores. I have concluded that none of that means sh*t. Yeah, it looks good but again those LORs and WOFT essay tho. I got a buddy this month who got picked up with a 2.6 GPA, 2/5 people with FAA licenses did not get picked up, people with and without service time got picked up. There is for sure an aspect to this WOFT game none of us really see, which is what makes it competitive and an even playing field at the same time. This comment is for sure overkill but maybe someone like where I was will read it!

All I got to say is nothing is set in stone till pen meets paper, good luck yall!!!!

• zsmith15, SwissK31, Anatalias and 3 others like this

#47 DParks09

DParks09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 22:22

I'll throw my stats in I guess. Maybe get some input and feedback.

APTF: 282

SIFT: 54

GT: 123

Studied Automotive and Diesel Mechanics
49 Credits 3.66 GPA

Certs: EPA Universal and an FCC for General Radiotelephone and Ship Radar Endorsement

Branch: Army, SSG (7 years)

MOS: 15R Apache Maintainer reclassed from 13B Cannon Crew Member

3 deployments to Afghanistan. 1 as a 13B and 2 as a 15R. Mainly heavy maintenance.
AH-64 maintenance supervisor, Phase team leader, crew chief.

Currently an AH-64 Technical Inspector, QC NCOIC and Downed Aircraft Recovery Team NCOIC.

LORs: CW5 (CCWO of DES Branch out of Rucker)
CW4 (CCWO / Master Gunner)
O3 and O4, unit commanders.

#48 DParks09

DParks09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 22:27

How much weight do you think your MOS carries? I'm prior combat arms, and currently in aviation as an AH 64 maintainer. 3 deployments in, bout to do a 4th.

#49 actuallyalex

actuallyalex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:25

According to deadlines, it looks like I'll be in the July board. According to non-deadlines, maybe earlier. What made me want to seek out info about WOFT was my binge-watching of those Green Baggers YouTube videos over and over on WOFT, and there they said Civilians compete against themselves and Active does the same, so it's a 50/50 split between Civvies and Active being selected.

Now I do wonder if that includes the former-service guys into the Civilian pool of applicants.

• SwissK31 likes this

#50 Therious

Therious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:05

All right every body I've been working on my packet since September of 17! After Lasik and spending 3 months in Alabama to get a letter of rec from the Chief Warrant Officer of the Aviation Branch I finally submitted for the May Board! Stats below. Best of luck to everybody, let's hope for 100% selection rates!!

Civilian: No Prior Service

ASVAB/GT: 98/136

GPA: 3.2

SIFT: 63

APFT: 255
(will try to improve this took it when I was ill)

B.S. Double Major Biology and Music

Flight: 13.8 Hrs

LORS:

Alaska Wildlife Trooper (boss)
Alaska Wildlife Trooper Lt (boss's boss)
College Swim Coach
Fire Captain (From my Volunteer Fire Department)
Chief Warrant Officer of the Aviation Branch

Waivers: None

So Nervous!!!! Best of luck once again!

#51 texmex11x

texmex11x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 16:37

According to deadlines, it looks like I'll be in the July board. According to non-deadlines, maybe earlier. What made me want to seek out info about WOFT was my binge-watching of those Green Baggers YouTube videos over and over on WOFT, and there they said Civilians compete against themselves and Active does the same, so it's a 50/50 split between Civvies and Active being selected.

Now I do wonder if that includes the former-service guys into the Civilian pool of applicants.

From my knowledge, prior service civilians, like myself, get looked at with no prior service civilians as well. Green Baggers has some good content, these forums are also a wealth of information, good luck man!

#52 Therious

Therious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:19

Hello! This is my first post.  I am attempting to make the May board.  Last thing I need is my flight physical which is scheduled for next week.  I feel confident I will pass it but is there any information I can read which will specifically let me know what the doctors will be checking for? Thanks

This might be a little late for you, but anybody else interested in what exactly those dream crushing flight surgeons are looking for you can go to this link and click on the PDF.

Section 4 has all the disqualification information for a Class 1A flight physical.

https://armypubs.arm...?PUB_ID=1002549
  • montyC likes this

#53 Mbrooks214

Mbrooks214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:20

So Im super close to making the May board, but I cant get a flight physical scheduled. Im trying to get an appointment at Fort Knox and theyre saying that theres a 2-3 month waitlist for appointments. Did anyone else have this issue? What should I do?

#54 Therious

Therious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:27

So Im super close to making the May board, but I cant get a flight physical scheduled. Im trying to get an appointment at Fort Knox and theyre saying that theres a 2-3 month waitlist for appointments. Did anyone else have this issue? What should I do?

Are you be civilian or active duty? Are you traveling to Ft Knox? Or are you in that area? If you're willing to travel they do flight physicals at Ft Rucker every Thursday. That's what I did and I live in Alaska! It'll take some phone calls but it could be done. Other than that I'm not sure :(

#55 Mbrooks214

Mbrooks214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:29

Are you be civilian or active duty? Are you traveling to Ft Knox? Or are you in that area? If you're willing to travel they do flight physicals at Ft Rucker every Thursday. That's what I did and I live in Alaska! It'll take some phone calls but it could be done. Other than that I'm not sure :(

Im a civilian and Id be willing to travel. Does my recruiter have to be with me??

#56 montyC

montyC

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:30

This might be a little late for you, but anybody else interested in what exactly those dream crushing flight surgeons are looking for you can go to this link and click on the PDF.

Section 4 has all the disqualification information for a Class 1A flight physical.

https://armypubs.arm...?PUB_ID=1002549

dream crushing is right. You're not only required to do a flight medical prior to submitting your packet but repeat it after going through WOCS. And if your shipout date for bct is late, you might need to renew your previous flight physical prior to WOCS... 3 flight medicals ugh

#57 Seminole

Seminole

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:56

Im a civilian and Id be willing to travel. Does my recruiter have to be with me??

A recruiter needs to be with you. You can try to find an opening out of state and a local recruiter willing to get you on base/checked into medical. I did this and drove 3 states away for mine, but since they knew this I was able to do part 1 and 2 of the flight phys in the same day.

#58 zsmith15

zsmith15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 15:35

dream crushing is right. You're not only required to do a flight medical prior to submitting your packet but repeat it after going through WOCS. And if your shipout date for bct is late, you might need to renew your previous flight physical prior to WOCS... 3 flight medicals ugh

Is it the class 1A flight physical or just the standard flight physical? I just completed my class 1A flight physical to complete my packet and the guy doing my measurements and such said you only have to  complete one 1A physical and after that its just a regular flight physical

• TWRisty87 likes this

#59 TWRisty87

TWRisty87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 15:58

That is correct. The first physical or initial is always a pain in the ass. In the military we refer to this as a long physical. Each subsequent annual physical is referred to as a short physical. Unless you have waivers for certain things. Hope that clears it up
  • zsmith15 likes this

#60 montyC

montyC

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 16:52

Is it the class 1A flight physical or just the standard flight physical? I just completed my class 1A flight physical to complete my packet and the guy doing my measurements and such said you only have to  complete one 1A physical and after that its just a regular flight physical

Not sure about this. I am a recent street-to-seat selectee and have not yet experienced firsthand if it is the same

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliHelmets-VR HomeSpectrum_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200MaunaLoaVRHome200BLR 200FreeFlight_Home200